Process of upgrading Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail

I am ready to upgrade from Vista Home Premium (64 bit) to Windows 7.  My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite e9107c desktop I purchased in Sep '09. I use Windows Mail for email and understand I need to migrate to Windows Live Mail for email with Windows 7.  Do I need to download Windows Live Mail before upgrading to Windows 7? What are the steps for a successful conversion? 

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 656 Applies to:
Answer
I am ready to upgrade from Vista Home Premium (64 bit) to Windows 7.  My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite e9107c desktop I purchased in Sep '09. I use Windows Mail for email and understand I need to migrate to Windows Live Mail for email with Windows 7.  Do I need to download Windows Live Mail before upgrading to Windows 7? What are the steps for a successful conversion? 

You can do it either way. If you are upgrading to 7 rather than a clean install, do that first, then download WLM, then import your WM email from the folder contained in the folder windows.old which is created by the upgrade.

It's a good plan to make a backup of all your critical data before you do this anyway...
If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.