Printer sharing between Windows 7 (printer host) and Windows XP. (Additional Drivers problem)

Hi,

I have my Canon Pixma ip4000 installed and working on a Windows 7 (x64) machine, furthermore I have a laptop running Windows XP (x86). The two PCs find eachother in the 'WORKGROUP' and the printer is visible from the Windows XP machine as well.

I 2xclick the printer in 'WORKGROUP' and it wants to find the proper driver (x86) to install to the machine. On the Windows 7 machine I have to have the driver for the XP machine to find and install. - So I go to the sharing properties of the printer and click the 'Additional Drivers' button which lets me choose between 3 things; Itanium (Type 3 - User mode), x64 (installed) and finally x86 which is the one I of course need for it to work with XP x86.

I go and download the Canon driver for Windows XP x86, and try to add it via the 'Additional Driver' option, i find the proper '.inf' from the newly downloaded folder and click OK.
But this message follows:
"The specified location does not contain the driver Canon Inkjet PIXMA iP4000 for the requested processor architecture." - Even though I KNOW its the right driver.

How do I solve this issue?

NB: I tried having the driver on the laptop and via the 'WORKGROUP' adding the printer, but it wont work either.

Question Info

Last updated November 6, 2018 Views 4,475 Applies to:
Answer
I would do this in stages, as you perhaps did in the last step:
1. Connect the printer to the WinXP machine, then install the driver.
2. Connect the printer to the Windows 7 machine, then add it on the Windows XP machine as a shared printer.
Perhaps you did the same thing but your comment "it won't work either" does not tell us a great deal.
ID#0308. If this response was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click "Propose as answer". Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.