Windows 7 Trouble Sharing with XP and Vista.

I have followed every tutorial imaginable on how to set up Windows 7 to share files with Windows Vista, or Windows XP, for that matter.

Currently, my Windows XP computer can see neither the Windows 7 OR the Windows Vista computer.  If I click "view Workgroup computers" I get an error that says "Workgroup is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use the network resource.  Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have acess permissions.  The network path was not found.".  

The Vista and Windows 7 computers can see one another, however, cannot access ANY of the folders that are set to shared on the network.  Both of them spit back errors of network path not found.  The folders are set to shared for "Everyone" with "Full Access," and even still cannot access the appropriate folders.

My windows 7 desktop can easily view the shared -DRIVES- set up on Windows XP, and has full write access, as it should.  Why is getting a feature like this such a pain in Windows Vista or Windows 7?  I mean I'm all for greater network security, but network impossibility is not the solution.  Is there a way to get all three of these computers to communicate amicably?  All of my Advanced Sharing settings on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista are set up according to the tutorials.  I even have Windows Firewall off.  What am I missing so that I can simply share files between the three computers?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 3,856 Applies to:
Answer

Hello CraigNavas,

Thanks for posting in the Microsoft Answers Forum! Are you able to view your XP and Vista PCs with the Win7 computer? What about with the Vista—can it see the Win7 or XP computer? I’ve listed some valuable links below with instructions on how to set up a home network, including how to set up a network with different versions of Windows. 

Refer the links below for details:

Troubleshoot network connection problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-connection-problems 

Troubleshoot problems finding computers on a home network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-finding-computers-on-a-home-network 

Setting up a Windows Network with different versions of Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/sharing-files-and-printers-with-different-versions-of-windows

If these links do not work for you, what are the exact problems that you are running into? And at what point do you begin to experience issues?

Please let me know if this helps J

Adam
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.