Question

Q: Cannot connect to wireless external drive - "microsoft windows network: not enough storage is available to process this command" error and system running slow after update

I just updated my laptop to Windows 7 and am having a few problems.  One - everything seems to be running SLOWER (I thought it was supposed to be faster!).  More problematic is the fact that I can't access my external hard drive which is networked.  It shows it, but when I click on it (it's listed as a Z drive), the error "microsoft windows network: not enough storage is available to process this command" shows. 

I installed Win7 on my husband's laptop the other day with no troubles.  His is able to still access the networked drive without a problem and is running great.  So great, I went and got it for my laptop.  My husband's laptop is running the 64 version of Home Premium and mine the 32.  I used upgrade advisor and fallowed all the recommendations it gave.  Including uninstalling iTunes.  I saved my iTunes files to the external drive and can't access them. 

I am far from a computer expert.  Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated - but lamens terms please. 

I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 running Webroot Security Suite. 

2.0 GB RAM, T5600 @ 1.83 GHz, Inter Core 2CPU

Answer

A:

Hi Beccabeth,

Does your husband have the same security software installed on his computer?

Check for the firewall settings on his computer also.

You may try to disable the firewall and the security software temporarily and check if that allows you to connect to the external drive.

Understanding Windows Firewall settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Understanding-Windows-Firewall-settings

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 692 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: