Can surf but not download. Win7, running as administrator.

We received two brand new HP6241f PCs running Windows 7 from Future Shop here in Canada.
I got home tonight from work and found my Dad still sitting in front of the first, trying to get it set up. At that point he was trying to activate the 60-day MS Office trial but every time he clicked the link to get a key he'd get a message saying he wasn't connected to the Internet. I confirmed that he was; we can totally surf.

I found another way of getting the key but kept getting redirected to a Bing page that said "We are unable to find [URL]."

I tried a few times, figured it was a bad link and decided to move on. I went to download Windows Live Mail.

Same stupid thing. The download page would load, the download would be about to begin and the redirect would happen again.

I've tried downloading Firefox and CCleaner - same problem.

I've browsed forum after forum and answer after answer. There's only one user and she's identified as administrator.

I played with security settings up the yin/yang. I do Hi-Speed Internet technical support for a living so I can easily disable common stuff. I followed some instructions to make changes of the User Controls but Full Control is already enabled.

I'm at my wits end and hating Win7. There are too damn many security options, if you ask me. Too many to find, apparently, because nothing I've done is working.

Please help; we've still got a second PC to open up.

Thanks for your patience.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 612 Applies to:
Answer
Lillian2611,

The browser will redirect to a Bing search if it was unable to contact the primary server. This is a normal feature.

Since the system is brand new, it may be a good idea to return the system for a functioning one since it should still be in warranty.

Hope this helps!

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.