Question

Q: file sharing not working

I have had the files on my vista home premium desktop set up for over a year as shared files.  I could always access them from my laptop.  I recently got a new laptop with windows 7 and it immediately could access the files and make changes to them.  Today , all of a sudden the files on my desktop are now read only.  I go to Documents folder and there is a check make in "read only".  I uncheck the box  and click apply and another dialogur box comes up asking me to click ok to make these shared files.  I click ok and another little window appears and shows progress as attributes of every file in Documents is being adjusted.  However after that task completes and I go to look at Documents properities --the read only box is still checked.  I have restarted the desktop and tried to make the change 3 times but no success.  If I go to network setting there is a green check mark for file sharing on.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to fix this.

The only new software put on the laptop has been Microsoft Home and Student Office but I don't see where that should have affected anything.

Answer

A:

Hi Carl,

You might need to change the permissions for the files and folder on the Windows Vista desktop. To change the permissions for the files:

1.       Navigate to the desktop on the Windows 7 computer

2.       Right click on it and bring up the properties dialog.

3.       Next click the security tab and click the "Advanced" button.

4.       In the new dialog that comes up, select the logged on user account (if the user name and password for both the computers are same or Everyone if the username is different) in the Permission Entries box

5.       Then click the Edit button. Check the top box (Full Control) and then check the box at the
bottom (Apply these permissions to objects)

6.       Click the OK button to save changes.

Now check if you are able to make changes to those files over the network.

Also, check the links given below for more information about file sharing on home network.

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

Share files with someone

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Share-files-with-someone

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 1,882 Last updated: March 16, 2018 Applies to: