WPD FileSystem Volume Driver doesn't start (code 10)

My card reader has been giving this error in Device Manager ever since I reinstalled Window 7 Pro x64 a few weeks back. It never had this error previously with Windows 7 Pro x64 and the card reader did not come with any drivers of it's own. There is a exclamation mark beside 4 devices in Device Manager marked as "WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" in the category Portable Devices. There is also a entry under Disk Drives for these 4 devices each named as:

IN-WIN CF Card USB Device, IN-WIN MS Card USB Device, IN-WIN SD Card USB Device, IN-WIN SM Card USB Device

I tried allocation a drive letter to each of the 4 devices but the drive letter will only stick if there is a device inserted in the appropriate slot and the drive letter is removed when I remove the memory card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

p.s. I just tried the Microsoft Fix It utility, but even though it found the errors and reinstalled the driver 4 times (once for each error), it has not fixed the problem. Perhaps there is an updated driver somewhere?

Answer
Answer

Hi Bendigo,

Since you have tried all the steps, you may try the below mentioned steps and check.

This issue can be caused by corrupt INF files. In order to resolve this issue you may try copying these files from another known Windows 7 64bit computer.

a. Try to copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows 7 64bit computer to the problem computer. (You can also upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

b. Reboot the computer check if it gets detected and works fine.

Refer the below Microsoft article:

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2022 Views 13,828 Applies to: