Question

Q: Wireless Adapter Causing Blue Screen of Death (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) This thread is locked from future replies

I've had a working Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB adapter (Dual Band ver. 2) for a several months now, without problems, running on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.  Then without any hardware or software changes (to my knowledge), having the adapter plugged in during boot up causes my computer to blue screen.  Unplugging it, Windows will start up fine, but it will crash again in the same way once I plug the device in and it looks for networks.

I went to the Linksys site and downloaded the Windows 7 driver for the adapter (they didn't even have one for the longest time so I was using Vista's this whole time), and that seemed to help for a little bit.  For some reason my computer hasn't crashed yet as long as I wait long enough after start up before plugging in the device.  But it's pretty much hit or miss.

This is the gist of the blue screen message (had to find it somewhere else and copy it so not sure about the number codes at the bottom):

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly instaled hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XCDCDCDC9, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804DBE7B)

Begining dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I've tried booting up in safe mode, but it only works without networking, so I wasn't able to learn anything useful about the problem.  I don't have that much experience with technical problems, though I've spent a fair amount of time working out driver problems.  Any help anyone might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

Some more info on my PC:

Gateway GT5628 (ACPI x86-based PC)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Answer

A:

KB977165 has created various issues on some systems and has been temporarily withdrawn from Windows Update.

I would suggest to uninstall KB977165 to see if that resolves the problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 27,907 Last updated: April 5, 2018 Applies to: