Windows 7 x64 is "searching preconfigured folders" for 10-20 minutes after pluging any basic USB device

As in the question.

Windows 7 x64 is "searching preconfigured folders" for 10-20 minutes after pluging any basic USB device - flash stick , mouse , keyboard.

The installing drivers shows up.
The small circles are rotating for minutes and minutes.

Then the message changes - to installing the device
this again lasts for minutes (5-10 or even longer)

In the end sometime the device is installed sometimes it fails.

If I unplug the device and plug to another USB port - the whole starts again.

During the whole process the computer becomes very slow and un-usable.

The task manager shows processor idle but there is no update on the UI, new programs can not start.
When the installation end then the whole thing catches up and everything opens and update with normal speed.

Answer
Answer

I have the same problem too Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

If there is an online driver available for a USB device it installs ok.

If the device relies on the preconfigured drivers folder it wont install.

I have removed all USB devices (including root hubs), reset and rebuilt the driver cache and nothing works.

Rebuilding my PC is going to take ages!! There must be a quicker solution!

I have just found the solution!!

You need to repair or rebuild the windows DriverStore. (which a reinstall would do) 

You need access to a working Windows machine to fix this but your PC will fix the driverstore itself.

To do this:

1) Get access to 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository' from a working PC either copied to a usb stick or a network share.

2) On your PC goto the device manager and locate the device that wont install (look for the yellow triangle).

3) Right click and select 'Update Driver Software'.

4) Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

5) Browse to the location of your good copy of the DriverStore

6) Tick 'Include subfolders' and click next

Windows will now search the good driver store and will re-install the preconfigured drivers.

Ignore any warnings about the driver being unsigned and let your PC install them.

The working drivers will be put back on your pc, the driver cache will rebuild and your device will start working.

Hoorah!

If you relocate the device to a different USB port it will now install automatically, as it should.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2023 Views 427 Applies to: