Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Windows 7 will not display 1920x1080 resolution on my 1080p LCD TV

I recently attempted to upgrade my Windows Vista Home Premium PC to Windows 7 (32-bit), and during installation found out that Windows 7 is having problems with displaying the proper resolution on the LCD TV I am using for my display.  In the middle of the installation, my TV displayed "Mode Not Supported" on the screen and remained this way. 

I suspected that Windows 7 was attempting to display a resolution that my TV could not handle, so in order to troubleshoot this, I turned off the PC, temporarily plugged in a 2nd LCD monitor via DVI (dual-display setup) and turned the PC back on, which allowed me to complete the upgrade installation for Windows 7.  This also let me see that my Samsung TV was being detected as one of the displays, and the "recommended" resolution for this TV was being detected as 1920x1080, which is the resolution that I was originally using just fine in Windows Vista.  Now, with Windows 7, the highest resolution I am capable of displaying on my Samsung TV is 1360x768... any higher resolutions result in "Mode Not Supported" being displayed on a black screen. 

To compound problems further, whenever I unplug the 2nd LCD Monitor that I temporarily have setup as a dual display, it appears that the display settings for the Samsung TV revert to the now unsupported 1920x1080 resolution, because the TV displays "Mode Not Supported"... So, it appears that even if I wanted to settle for the lower 1360x768 resolution, I can't even use the LCD TV as a standalone display because it won't save this display setting with only a single display (the LCD TV) plugged in.

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9600, and my display is a Samsung LN52A650 LCD TV.  I am connecting to the TV using a VGA cable.  I also tried using a DVI-to-VGA converter and had the exact same results.  This exact same setup was capable of displaying 1920x1080 screen resolution just fine with Windows Vista Home Premium before.  Is there anything I can do to get back to displaying 1920x1080 on my setup with Windows 7, or will I have to downgrade back to Windows Vista?

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2020 Views 111,789 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

BY DEFAULT, WINDOWS LOADS THE MOST BASIC OF VGA DRIVERS DURING SET-UP, FOR COMPATIBILITY REASONS...TRY VISITING THE WEBSITE OF YOUR CHIPSET MANUFACTURER FOR THE PROPER DRIVERS, AND I MEAN INTEL, OR AMD, NOT ATI...THEY SHOULD HAVE THREE CATEGORIES OF UP-TO-DATE DRIVERS FOR YOUR NEEDS:

#1: CHIPSET DRIVERS. These are to support your onboard graphics and processors accesses to the chips.

#2: video drivers.  These are the ones you would need for your O.S.

#3: PROCESSOR DRIVERS.  THESE WOULD UPDATE YOUR BIOS AND MAKE BETTER USE OF THE PHYSICAL INSTRUCTION SETS EMBEDDED IN YOUR PROCESSOR... Download and install all of the ones for your system, and you will be able to remedy your problems.

"THE EASIEST THING TO GET IN THIS WORLD IS A WRONG ANSWER!" "I DO WINDOWS...."

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I had a similar issue but my laptop and monitor were new, never anything bu win7.  One day it adjusted itself to the right size out of the blue and then several weeks later it reverted to a smaller setting.  I just set the bottom setting on the "change screen resolution" to display on monitor 1 only and it worked.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.