Windows 7 Media Player (12) won't recognize any audio CDs or DVDs

Ok, I was able to insert and play or rip CDs and DVDs in my HP Laptop's drive until sometime recently. Now, suddenly, Media Player does not recognize my drive at all, although I CAN see and access the drive (for recorded discs) and can even play native DVD media files on the disc (like .VOB files) in media player. However, there's no autoplay of inserted discs (I've already been through the control panel page for configuring autoplay, everything normal there). Same story for recorded audio CDs, can't play one in media player. When a valid disc is inserted, the drive never shows up in the Media Player library. Also, I can no longer burn files to a CD or DVD, the prompt that used to come up asking if I wanted to format the disc for data or music never appears and no burn functions of Media player work either. When I put a blank CD or DVD in the drive, windows tells me that it's not a supported disc  type (I used these same discs previously to burn files with no problems). Also, there have been no software installations or reconfigurations on this computer that would have affected Media Player, other than standard windows updates.

I've stopped short of totally uninstalling Media Player and reinstalling, but will do so if that seems likely to help. Have tried all the Microsoft Hardware Troubleshooting and "Fix-it" programs, none of which had the slightest effect. And don't say that the drive is broken or that one of it's lasers is broken or that windows doesn't recognize the drive or disc. The disk is totally visible in Windows Explorer and the files ARE readable. Only Media Player is retarded and can't see the drive.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2019 Views 9,732 Applies to:

Error message “Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD” may occur if the CD drive settings in Device Manager do not match the CD drive settings in the Player.

You may follow the steps provided by Santosh Y, Microsoft Support in the link below; refer the post dated Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:41 PM for the steps.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistamedia/thread/8d8ccf1b-6959-4844-8aa3-3aac7d9efa1a

If the issue persists, follow the steps provided by asumetalnerd (Andy) in the link below which addresses similar issue; refer the post dated Wednesday,November 25, 2009 1:48 PM

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/07fb8c99-9a7b-4456-9633-1f487d5f7a42

If the CD is copy protected, you need media usage rights to use the protected file in Windows Media Player. For more information on DRM (Digital Rights Management) please refer the link below:

Windows Media Player DRM: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Media-Player-DRM-frequently-asked-questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Settings-troubleshooter

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

a)   Close all programs.
b)   Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
c)   Open Programs and features.
d)   In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.
e)   In the list of windows features, check the box next to Media features.
f)    To turn a Windows feature on, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. Click OK.
g)   You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

###########################################

Intel Inside

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response, but I've been through all of this already to no avail. There are NO error messages associated with the CD or DVD drive when in Media Player, because the drive is NEVER recognized at all. You can't rip anything, because you can't even find the drive, not because of errors. Doesn't matter what kind of disc you put in the drive, prerecorded CDs or DVDs, blank recordable CDs or DVDs, media player recognizes NOTHING.

Looked into downloading a new installation of media player so that I could try removing and reinstalling, but it looks like Windows 7 Professional doesn't give that option in MS downloads... I'm afraid of removing it and not being able to get a reinstallation.

I guess I'll just watch DVDs and play CDs on my DVD player for now. Too bad I can't back up files any more, though. Any further recommendations are welcome!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, as do thousands of other people...

There's a way to play the fies. you can do this by right clicking the "no disc (D) and select file, open.

you can then play the file from the list.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was wrestling with a similar problem on my Dell OptiPlex 3010 after doing a clean install of Windows 8.  I finally decided to try installing the Dell audio driver instead of the one that Windows installed by default and it all started working!!

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no list in the "Turn Windows features on or off" box, there is nothing at all there, completely empty!       

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same problem.  When I try to burn a CD, windows media player doesn't recognize the blank CD.  Wish some one had the answer.

63 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.