Windows 7 does not detect my printer, although I can enter an IP of it's address and access it

I just purchased an HP Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium laptop for my wife one week ago. I did the easy transfer of her old XP laptop and needed to reinstall the printer driver for our Canon MX860 networked printer. It is networked via an ActionTec Wireless router. The MX860 is setup for a wired connection and has a cat 5 cable to the router. The printing worked for a couple of days and then stopped. I uninstalled the driver and redownloaded the driver from the Canon site for 64 bit Windows 7. I then tried several ways to get the printer working:  

1. On a wireless connection to the router, I used the Canon install program, I get an error saying that No Printers Were Found and I had to cancel the installation. (On the laptop I am able to connect to other computers on the network and surf the net. I can enter the printer's IP address (192.168.1.4) and pull up a webpage showing that it has an active status. I also have other laptops that are Windows XP that connect this way and have no problem.

2. Also wirelessly, I went to Printers and Devices in Windows 7, and chose Add A Printer, and then chose the Network option, it searched for a minute or so and then said No Printers Were Found. 

3 and 4 - I tried 1 and 2 with the laptop connected to the router via a cat 5 cable.

5. I tried to setup the printer via USB and that works. I then tried to change the port of the printer to a network port and in the process get a message that says The Printer Could Not Be Detected.

When I click on the Network button from the Start Menu, it shows the printer then. If I double click on the printer it gives a message saying that the WSD driver is successfully installed and then loads the printers HTML page and again it shows the device as available. But I am not able to print.

So part of Windows 7 detects my printer and lets me access it via HTTP and the other part of Windows 7 says it cannot find it.

Is there any hope for me? My wife wants to print and I feel like a moron because I have spent hours and have nothing to show for it. I bought the computer at Costco just a few days ago and I guess one option would be to return it. I know the printer works on a laptop with both XP and Vista. Would I be better off getting a different machine or even a different machine with a different OS?

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2018 Views 49,822 Applies to:
Answer

Hello  B Walter
Thank you for writing to Microsoft Forums.

To assist you better please respond to this question:

1. Have you installed the network drivers of the canon printer MX860 series MP Driver Ver. 1.02 for Network?
2. Is  the network discovery turned ON?

Try these steps:
(A). To install the network drivers of the canon printer MX860 series MP Driver Ver. 1.02 for Network you can check this link.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=334&modelid=18121

(B). To turn on network discovery:
1.Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the navigation pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.
2.Click the chevron  to expand the current network profile.
3.Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For more information check this link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-network-discovery

(C). I would suggest you to disable any security software and firewall on the computer and check if it helps.

(D).I would also suggest you to find and add the printer manually:
If Windows can't detect a printer that you want to use, follow these steps to find and add the printer manually:
1.Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
2.Click Add a Printer.
3.In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
4.On the Choose a network printer page, click The printer that I want isn't listed.
5.On the Find a printer by name or TCP/IP address page, choose how to find the printer that you want to use, based on the type or location of the printer, and then click Next.
6.Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

Please check this link for more information:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-printer-problems

Hope it helps
Thanks and regards
Dinesh-Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.