Windows 7 Computer Freezes several times a day

My wife and I have a pair of computers, almost the exact same.  

AMD II X4 945 3.0ghz 

Hers has 6G of corsair ram, mine only 4 because a stick died

Radeon HD 4890 1g video cards

WD 500g harddrives

Rosewill 950w power supply

Linksys wireless cards WMP54G

Asus motherboards

Now the only things different other than the amount of Ram above are these(that i can think of)

I have a sony DVD-RW and she has a Plextor Lightscribe 

She has a card reader Rosewill 74 in 1 

She HAD our printer connected which was an HP C3180 all in one printer

We were both running vista smoothly, no real issues at all.  We ran an Upgrade on mine, which froze once during install then worked correctly and has been since.  My wife on the other hand hers froze twice during install.  third time was the charm and worked for a while, after about the first week it started to freeze up all the time.  I looked into it and it was because this was the first time she had to print something since that time.  Turns out the printer was only being Recognized as a Mass storage device(it does have card readers in it so its part of it).  Now no matter what i do uninstalling wise(fresh download from hp even) it won't change the device from a mass storage device, I plug it into my computer and drivers are installed correctly works fine.  Even without the printer plugged in its freezing several times a day(about a month since i swapped the printer).   When it boots up after freezing, several times it locks up at asus screen, I try to tab to actually see where it freezes post wise...but its already frozen if im spamming it

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 6,290 Applies to:
Answer

Please give the workaround mentioned here a try, and let me know if it resolves the problem:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/3aae3b66-6a1a-47e8-ad1b-b20b68eaecf8#79ea3219-d76e-40bc-b910-c7d347002e66

Thanks,
Mark

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.