Windows 7 computer cannot work with Windows 8 phone - help needed to install the proper windows phone usb-drivers

Computer history
A few months back my Creative zen mp3-player suddenly was no longer recognized by windows 7 computer (about two years of age). I didn't do much to solve this problem at the time as all other USB applications (sticks, external hardrive) still worked and I could use a SD-card to transfer music and other data.

The problem
However last Friday I received my new smartphone Nokia Lumia 620. One of the reasons for buying a phone with Windows 8 was the presupposed compatability with my Windows 7 computer. And I was eager to finally transfer music and other data easily. Unfortunately, the phone wasn't and still isn't recognized by computer. The problem lies with the computer, not the phone, for a much older Windos XP computer did recognize the device. The USB-gates are all working fine. The device is recognized as a RM-846|Nokia Lumia 620, but the computer is unable to install the proper drivers.

My own attempts
Windows update says there are no further updates available. I turned of my firewall, and have tried to install the drivers, both automatically (Code 28) and manually. I have downloaded Microsoft - Other hardware - Windows Phone USB, from the Microsoft website but even within this folder, windows says it cannot find any drivers. The use of Microsoft fix-its also has not helped.

I have done all that the self-help websites recommend, but now I am stuck. And I really want this to work properly. Friends tell me not to bother and just buy a micro-SD, but why should I? I want this to work as it is supposed to work and not spend money on a second-rate solution. Pleas help me crack this nut.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2018 Views 131 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Janneke,

Perform the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to install Windows Phone app and then check if you are able sync Windows Phone 8 with the computer.

Refer to the link “Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3)” to download Windows Phone app.

Method 2:

If that doesn’t fix the issue, then I would suggest you to perform the troubleshooting steps from the link “Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer” and then check if this fixes the issue.

Refer to the link “Sync music, ringtones, and podcasts using my computer” to know more information.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.