Windows 7 CD/DVD Error (code 52) - Won't display in Computer or read discs.

I have a Acer Aspire 5732Z with windows 7 and the CD/DVD disc tray doesn't work.

It doesn't appear in my Computer and when a disc is entered it makes the normal sounds but does nothing.
I have tried many discs but none work.

I went to the device manager and under DVD/CD-ROM drives the device HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT31N is displayed with an error symbol.
Under this devices status section a message:
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"
is displayed.

In driver details under the Driver tab it shows 5 drivers 3 of which are not digitally signed:
- NTIDrvr.sys
- UBHelper.sys
- ASAPI64.sys

I have tried uninstalling the device and rebooting several times but each time the drivers same problem exists.
I have also tried to press F8 on startup but this does literally nothing (doesn't even open up a menu).
I have run the device troubleshooter but it finds no problems.
I have tried to update the drivers but they are all up to date.
I have updated windows.
I have run the Microsoft Fix It tool which found no problems.

Really I don't know what else to try...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2019 Views 3,054 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Try following the steps under "Windows 7 or Windows Vista" in the following MS KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

These steps, to remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values, if they exist, at the named registry key may help.

Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.