Question

Q: Windows 7 cannot find .inf printer driver for Canon Pixma iP4000 wired to Windows XP.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit machine) that I want to print from.  The laptop is wireless on a home network.  The desktop is wireless as well and is running Windows XP.  The desktop has a Canon Pixma iP4000 printer hooked up with a parallel cable.  I have installed the latest XP drivers for the printer on the desktop.  The laptop can connect directly to the printer with a USB cable and the drivers will download automatically and it will print fine.  However, I cannot connect this printer using the wireless system.  I can go on the laptop to the Home network and navigate to the printer and try to install.  It does an automatic search and says it cannot find the proper drivers.  I can Browse to the install file on my desktop, but it is an .exe file and not .inf.  I have run the .exe file and it installs too, but the printer installer on the laptop will not let me by the add .inf screen to finish installing a wireless printer.

Any suggestions?

Answer

A:

Question? Did you load the 64x driver into the XP machine? If not you will need to do this to make it work across a network. To install the 64x driver into XP first you need to download the 64x driver for XP. After you have the download you will do the following, first open printers and faxes, go to your printers properties, next go to the sharing tab, click share this printer, now push the Additional Drivers button, makes sure both x86 and x64 check boxes are checked. After you have both checked you will be asked to install the x64 driver so have your media ready. After its installed lets go to the Windows 7 laptop and get it ready to print. First go to Devices and Printers, then click Add a printer, next click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer", and it will show up in the printer list but if it doesn't then click "The printer that I want isn't listed". What you do next is push the radio button "Select a shared printer by name" and put in the computer name of the XP machine then put in the name of the shared printer and it should look like this "//Computername/SharedPrintername". At this time what will happen is it will say the XP computer would like to install a driver for the printer. Of course the print driver that the XP computer will try to install will not go but you should be able to say I have a disk a some point and then use the Windows 7 driver for the install that you can download from the same place you got the XP x64 driver. If it downloads into the system go ahead and do a test print and see if it is printing.

Hope this helps

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Most likely the XP driver name is different than the 64bit driver name.  Create a Local Port that copies the print formatted data to the Windows 7.

Here's a knowledge base article how to do this for mismatched driver names.  Substitute the Windows 7 machine for the NT4 machine referenced in the article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842

If you load the 32bit print driver onto the 64bit machine you will need the Windows 7 32bit driver.  You can do this if you have a Windows 7 32bit machine on the network to push the drivers up to the machine sharing the printer.  The are no flat files on the Windows 7 DVD, you need to install the OS or mount the ISO.

The key to print sharing success between machines running different architecture processors is driver name matching.  PCL6 does NOT equal PCL 6. 

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 41,479 Last updated: July 19, 2018 Applies to: