Windows 7 Blue Error Screen - Stop Code: 0x0000007f

Hi, 

My name is Carl. As of a the last three days, I've been having quite a few system crashes. This happens almost anytime when I am either trying to surf the web, playing music or movies, or trying to run a game. Usually what happens is that after a few minutes (sometimes after an hour) of running a program, or going on the internet, the computer begins a crash dump and gives me the following stop error:

0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000406f8, 0xfffff800028d3314)

Usually after the dump, the computer will lock up and not restart forcing me to manually shutdown the system. I've already contacted Dell Support and we did the following in the order listed:

Memory Diagnostic - No errors found

Replaced video drivers via remote controll from Dell

Clean reinstallation of Windows 7 - with new partitions

Individually Checked Memory sticks (2x2gb ddr3) - computer crashed both times

Dell believes that the memory stick may be deffective but I was seeking a second opinion since the computer has run exceptionally well on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium since about mid November when it was upgraded. Is this a hardware problem? What do you think I should do to resolve this issue? This is a matter of some urgency to be because I am taking two online courses and I would hate to have a crash while taking an exam. Thank you very much for you time and patience.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2018 Views 94,365 Applies to:
Answer
The error you are receiving, an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (BugCheck 7F), most referencing the netio.sys, is most likely from ZoneAlarm.

There may be a clash between ZoneAlarm drivers and Windows drivers as reported in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/8aabb1a2-49d0-4bc2-92ca-dce7ddf5af73

Similar BSODs have been also been reported with Norton Antivirus and, as discussed in the link, there appears to be high stack usage or clash involving Windows drivers and third party filter drivers.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=73834

You could try, as suggested in the Symantec link, disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

You could also uninstall ZoneAlarm if problems persist

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.