Windows 7 Add a printer error: "Printer Driver not installed. The process cannot access the file, because it is being used by another process." __

I get this error when trying to add an HP 6840 printer through a network connection using the drivers from the Windows 7 list. I do have to click Windows Update button to get the printer to show in the list.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2019 Views 8,930 Applies to:

Hi brentsanford4,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers!!!

The first thing I would suggest is to install the latest drivers for the printer from the manufacturers website.

If Windows can't detect a printer that you want to use, you may follow these steps to find and add the printer manually:

1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
2. Click Add a Printer.
3. In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
4. On the Choose a network printer page, click The printer that I want isn't listed.
5. On the Find a printer by name or TCP/IP address page, choose how to find the printer that you want to use, based on the type or location of the printer, and then click Next.
6. Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

For more information on the above mentioned steps and If you meant you can't find a printer that you want to add in the Network folder, I would suggest you to access the link below and read through the article on Troubleshoot network printer problems and see if it can resolve the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-printer-problems

The above article is intended for Windows Vista but it holds good for Windows 7 as well.

Hope this information is helpful.
Regards
Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This error is coming from manually adding the printer. In the Add a Printer wizard, it finds the printer on the network just fine. I locate the the printer driver in the list of Windows supplied printer drivers, name the printer, and click next. It hangs on "Installing Printer..." for quite some time and then returns the error.

Looking on HP's website, this is the procedure they suggest for Windows 7, and don't list a driver to download. They do have a Vista full install, but I prefer not to have a full install. It adds extra overhead and takes up space needlessly.

Thanks,
Brent

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same issue when installing any printer driver in windows server 2008 R2. It is very frustrating because this server was intended to be my main print server but I was only able to move about half the printers over to it before I started getting this message.

Sorry this didn't help.