Why camera shuts off when plugged into usb port on computer

When I turn my camera on and I have devices pulled up a disc G shows up for about 2 seconds and then disappears. What do i do?

Thread Description:

camera shuts down when plugged into computer
Same problems! There have been no changes made to this computer intentionally . I may have inadvertently hit something but this didn't work from the start of this. This worked o.k. in 4/27/2012 and when I tried this in December 19/2012 it would not work! The computer was not used from 4/27 to 11/2012. The updates stopped at 4/27 and started up again 11/3/2012. My camera is a Fuji film S5100 and I had trouble from the first use of this computer. I found a tech from Fuji that helped me last year but I can't get any satisfaction this year. The camera shuts off after about 3 seconds. This has gotten worse because when I first plugged it in I at least got to import and a message that if I didn't see my device click refresh. Nothing happened. I've tried all ports on the computer all the same. The software that came with my camera is for xp and this is windows 7. I run fixit and that came up with Lexmarkx422 was not working. Is this for a camera it says printer and show a picture of a printer. Nodevice shows up in device manager. I re downloaded lexmarkx that made no difference. I've tried all your answers as well as I can. Things don't come up on this computer the same . I thought if I could restore back to when it was working but was told that is not possible. 8 months too long. Thank the people for their time and I do appreciate their expertise!

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2019 Views 2,335 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Arlene Lovell,

Thank you for writing in Microsoft Communities. 

Based on the issue description, it appears that your Camera gets disconnected or shuts down when connected to the computer.

Before we start troubleshooting on the issue please provide us with the additional information by answering few questions mentioned, this will help us to troubleshoot better.

1)       Were there any recent changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

2)       What is the make and model of the Camera?

3)       Does the Camera gets disconnected or shuts down after connecting to the Computer?

4)       Does the same thing happen with different USB ports and different Computer?

5)       Which operating system is installed on the computer?

If the Camera is getting disconnected, then please go ahead and follow the methods mentioned and later update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1: Run the “Fix it” tool from the link given below. It will automatically diagnose and repairs problems with hardware devices not detected or not working on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.