Virtual disk manager - can't initialise external hard drive

Reformatted my Seagate 1tb external hard drive (used for back up) of my Windows 7 professional 64bit system, and now caught in limbo. 
Computer shows drive (marked drive Z) but with no size.
Computer management tells me to initialize the drive but then brings up the error message "Virtual disk manager. The system cannot find the file specified"
Drive was formatted (quick format) to NTFS, but the format stopped with message "Windows cannot complete the format"
Device manager shows the drive, and helpfully tells me "Device is working properly"
Seagate's Sea Tools for Windows (diagnostics) sees the USB connection but not the drive itself
Now spent 3 days reviewing with no luck. I don't need any of the data so I hope it will be easy to sort.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2019 Views 35,369 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi alittleoldman,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum.
I would suggest you to connect the external hard drive to different computer and see if that works.
since formatting stop while doing the format, it could be something wrong with the disks, I would suggest you to try checking the drive for any errors.
1.Open Computer by clicking the
Start button , and then clicking Computer
2.Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click
Properties
3.Click the
Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now
.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
A. To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select
Automatically fix file system errors
. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.
To perform a thorough check, select
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both
Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
4.Click Start.
Additional information
: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks & Regards,
Vijay B – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.