USB stick file transfer much slower under Windows 7. How can it be improved.

I recently upgraded my system from Vista to Windows 7 taking the oppurtunity to install some new Seagate hard disks at the same time. I had stored some files on a Corsair 32Gb USB 2.0 memory stick before doing this. At present the system is a clean install of Windows 7 with Kasperski AV and the XP Mode virtualisation option installed and fully updated by Windows update. I have also created a Windows 8 VHD file on the C: drive and installed the boot from VHD option in order to try out Windows 8 as well. It is a 64 bit Quad Core i5 machine.

In copying files off the the Corsair USB stick I am finding files typically take between 3 and 5 times longer to be copied to disk then they do when the operation is carried out on a Vista or XP machine. In order to test this further I reconnected my old hard disks with the old Vista OS still intact on them and tried the copy again. Takes about 3 -5 minutes under Vista but 30mins to an hour under Windows 7 for the same files. I also noticed that the deeper and more complex the directory structure being copied the more Windows 7 seems to struggle with the transfer.

Having read through a huge number of user reports/solutions(?) from people who seem to be struggling with the same or similar issues I have tried switching the policy for the USB drive in device manager to 'optimise for performance' and also turning off the Background Intelliget Transfer service off through Administrative Tools under Windows 7 with little appreciable positive effect.

From a review of the answers given so far to those with similar problems I have the feeling that various red herrings are deliberately being thrown out in the replies by MS staff in order to try and cloud the issue. As a result one is left with the feeling that Microsoft know there is an issue but don't want to admit to it as they have not got a solution at present. I hope I am wrong. Also from the replies given I get the impression that a similar issue seemed to exist in the early releases of Vista and had been resolved by a later update. Has an old issue been re-introduced in the current Windows 7 build?

Can anyone provide a solution that gets a reasonable response out of USB sticks under Windows 7? 

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2018 Views 636 Applies to:

Hi,

I would suggest you to follow these methods and check.

Run the following fixit and check if it helps. An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581464

Hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Would try but at present I am getting a message saying that the hotfix request system is unavailable. If I manage to get it later I'll let you know how it works out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Eventually got the hotfix downloaded after clicking on the link above to follow another link to enter my address details to have the file emailed to me - seemed a bit of a rigmarole to me, why not just have a direct link?

On installing and rebooting the only effect seemed to be that it had killed my internet connection. Tried running the connection trouble shooter but no joy there. Then tried a system restore to before the hotfix was applied which once it had completed told me it had failed and that I need to try again with my AV software turned off. Disconnected my modem, turned off the AV and tried the system restore again. This time as it closed it told me it couldn't shutdown yet as I had 12 active internet connections open!

Seemed a bit suspicious to me given that I couldn't get the internet and my modem was disconnected but I was already committed to the restore. Waited for the 'internet connections' to clear and the PC to restart. Once again got the same system restore failure message as before but I tried running the connection troubleshooter again and this time it suceeded.

Checked for the registry key mentioned in the hotfix using regedit but it wasn't there so perhaps the system restore had worked after all despite the failure message. Ran a quick AV scan and all appears to be OK except that USB still works as slow as before.

Thanks for the reply Babu but that fix just seemed to make things worse not better.

Sorry this didn't help.