USB ports not working on startup

Every time I start my computer (Running Windows 7) my usb ports are not detected. 

If I use the Device Manager, I can uninstall the "yellow triangled" USB items, then click on "Scan for Hardware Changes" and they work fine.

Alternatively, by typing "device" into the start menu's "search programs and files" and then selecting "find and fix problems with devices" and then applying all the suggested fixes the usb ports will also work again. 

This is great, but takes an additional 2-3 minutes to get the computer into working order and must be done again EVERY time I start the computer.

Is anyone aware of a permanent solution?

Thank you in advance,

Mitch

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,021 Applies to:

Hi Mitch,

I appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue. Write to us with the following details so that we can assist you better.

1)        Do you face this issue with all the USB ports?

2)        Did you make any hardware or software changes to your computer prior to this issue?

3)        Do you get any error message when the USB ports fail to work?

4)        What is the make and model of your computer?

You could face this issue when the USB port Driver is corrupt or not installed properly. Follow the troubleshooting methods given below to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and device troubleshooter.

Click on the link given below and follow the steps.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/open-the-hardware-and-devices-troubleshooter

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB Driver on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to open Device Manager and then uninstall the USB Driver.

Open Device Manager

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/open-device-manager

Follow the steps given below to uninstall the USB Driver.

a)        Right Click on the USB Device.

b)       Select the option Uninstall.

c)        You will get confirmation message about the driver removal, click on OK.

d)       Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, it will automatically install the required driver on your computer.

You can refer the link given below.

Install a USB device

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/install-a-usb-device

Check for the issue and write to us with the status. We will assist you ahead if you need any assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mitch,

I appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue. Write to us with the following details so that we can assist you better.

1)        Do you face this issue with all the USB ports?

2)        Did you make any hardware or software changes to your computer prior to this issue?

You could face this issue when the USB port Driver is corrupt or not installed properly. Follow the troubleshooting methods given below to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and device troubleshooter.

Click on the link given below and follow the steps.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/open-the-hardware-and-devices-troubleshooter

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB Driver on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to open Device Manager and then uninstall the USB Driver.

Open Device Manager

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/open-device-manager

Follow the steps given below to uninstall the USB Driver.

a)        Right Click on the USB Device.

b)       Select the option Uninstall.

c)        You will get confirmation message about the driver removal, click on OK.

d)       Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, it will automatically install the required driver on your computer.

You can refer the link given below.

Install a USB device

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/install-a-usb-device

Check for the issue and write to us with the status. We will assist you ahead if you need any assistance.

Thank you for your reply and help!!

The suggestions you have given are variation the things that I have already tried.  

While they both restore the power and function to the USB ports, the fix is only temporary.  As soon as I shut down and restart the computer, the problem occurs again.

Any suggestion on a more permanent solution?  

Here are the answers to your questions. Please let me know if there is a deeper level of detail that I might be able to provide.

1)         Do you face this issue with all the USB ports?
      A: Yes, all USB ports fail to work on startup.

A:  As far as I can remember, the only change I made to the computer before this occurred the first time was the Windows Update.

A:  No, the USB ports simply are not powered and read nothing plugged into them

A:  HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

thank you again!

Mitch

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to uninstall the USB driver and then install it from the HP website.

Follow the steps given to Open Device Manager, Expand USB drive, right click, select uninstall. It will ask you for confirmation. Click on OK. Do not restart your computer. Go to the link below and install the latest USB drivers and install manually.

HP Drivers & Downloads

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html 

Check for the issue and write to us.

Sorry this didn't help.

hello, Microsoft quit opening usb ports on startup due to security purposes. typical that the MS rep has no idea, no clue. or maybe the tech was wrong that I got this from on this MS site, which is quite possible. but alais, they do not start up on purpose. of course, the registry could fix this if the MS  tech is any good, he or she could tell us the registry key to change.       

Sorry this didn't help.