USB Drivers from Device Manufacturers not Working / Won't Uninstall from Control Panel

Any of my devices that use a standard Microsoft driver work correctly but those devices that use their own drivers are exhibiting a number of problems.  I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

Problem 1:  When I plug in a device, Windows goes looking for drivers at Windows Update and in pre-configured drivers.  It takes a few minutes, then reports failure. Then in Device Manager they show up as either 'unknown' with no driver or sometimes with the correct device type (say,  HP Webcam under Imaging devices category, etc ) but again with Code 10 (device unable to start).  In all these cases, I have installed the software that comes with the device according to instructions.  These are all devices that have been working up until this problem started.

Problem 2:  If I try to uninstall the software from 'Programs and Features', nothing happens... no messages, no delay, nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--Jim

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2018 Views 134 Applies to:
Hi,

As I understand, the USB drivers from Device Manufacturers not Working. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps to check if it helps.

Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

The Code 10 error code is generated when Device Manager has insufficient information or if the driver is not recognized by Device Manager. Additionally, this error may occur when one of the drivers that the device needs does not start. Check the article mentioned below.

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

Method 1:

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2:
Updated drivers might be available through Windows Update. When you check Windows Update, click View available updates to determine if an updated driver is available for your device. For more information, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly
Method 3:
You may try to uninstall and reinstall the USB controllers and see if it helps.
To uninstall and re-install the USB controllers, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, type device manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
b. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

c. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
d. Repeat the above step for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
f. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your response.  The quick answer is that I have tried all of these solutions already AND I followed them again in the order given by you.  No success.

Some more information and detailed notes follow below.

So I'm still in a position where a number of devices don't work.  Any support you could give me would be most welcome.

Thanks,
--Jim

Changes made before problem occurred:

Nothing obvious at the time, but I had been uninstalling a bunch of software related to my various Canon cameras.  About the same time I installed a Logitech app and driver for my Harmony TV remote control.  This software is still not being uninstalled.  See this post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-drivers-from-device-manufacturers-not-working/63cefe54-63e5-4754-9f46-114b3aee3b25

Early in the troubleshooting process, I was able to restore some functionality by going to a restore point prior to the camera event but I didn't have a restore point prior to the remote control event.

PS:  I've unplugged most devices so as not to struggle with too much information.
Unplugged devices with problems include a Garmin 305 GPS, two different HP webcams and two other keyboards/mice, both wired and wireless.

Method 1:
Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Result:
(Note that the USB2.0 device is an Realteck on-board memory card reader which I have disabled.  If I enable it, the drivers still don't load. )

Here are the HP wireless KB and Mouse drivers from the Processes tab in Task Manager:

Are there any issues with the different UAC virtualization settings?

Method 2:
Updated drivers might be available through Windows Update.

Result:
My machine is completely up to date (see note below).  I also run Pecunia PSI which monitors non-Microsoft software for out-of-date / end-of-life situations.  All apps are up to date.

(NOTE:  An interesting tid-bit:  When I go to some MS support sites for drivers and such,  I get a warning that the Win 7 solution I'm looking at is not appropriate for my machine which is Win 7 Pro. It gives me a link to a Vista web page.  Is it possible the Win Update is not applying Win7 updates because it thinks the PC is a Vista machine? )

Method 3:
You may try to uninstall and reinstall the USB controllers and see if it helps.
To uninstall and re-install the USB controllers, follow these steps:

Result:

I have already been using this method.  I even go a step further by displaying hidden devices and deleting them.  In fact this is the only way I can regain control of the computer when the keyboard goes south.  The only keyboard that is sort of reliable is an HP wired KB.  If I identify it as an HID device it will work initially,  but at some point the HP drivers for this KB load and then it dies!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.