USB devices not working at startup.

Hi.

Sorry if this is a long post but I really need some advice.

I have recently done a format of drive C and reinstalled windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

Everything was fine for a couple of days while little by little I reinstalled all my other programs and drivers etc and updated windows.

Now though every time I reboot my mouse and keyboard wont work unless I unplug and reconnect them.  Also my external HDD sometimes gets detected again by windows.  Quite often but not always windows will reinstall drivers for the mouse or keyboard and they then begin to work but mostly I need to disconnect them and reconnect to get any joy.  Have noticed apart from the normal connect/disconnect beeps I have heard something like 3 rapid beeps and the device doesnt get detected and i have to try again.

I have a mix of usb 2 and 3 ports split into seperate hubs on the back panel of my motherboard and have tried connecting my mouse and keyboard to seperate ones and still get the same issue.  I have tried reinstalling the chipset and the asmedia usb 3.0 drivers with no luck.  Have also uninstalled all USB hubs etc in device manager and I still have the problem even after they are all redetected and installed.  Although during the reboot they do get detected and my keyboard and mouse will work till I do a normal reboot.

I am pretty sure this problem was slightly present on my last windows install as quite often on startup I would hear 2 rapid device detections but it was instant and if the detections were my mouse and keyboard then it was so fast they were working before i could get a hand to them.

When I turn on the power my keyboard and mouse light up.  As windows loads they stay lit till just before the welcome screen then both go dark.  Does that mean they are not getting power through the usb ports?

Anyway i am lost and it's really annoying after just doing a windows reinstall.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My specs

Mouse is a steel series ikari laser and the keyboard is just an old logitech g15

Asus PZ68-V PRO

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

i7 sandybridge at 4.0ghz

Asus direct cu II 580 gpu

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2020 Views 16,277 Applies to:

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for choosing Windows and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

As per the description, you are having issues with Rapid beeps when inserting a USB(Universal Serial Bus) device.

Method 1: Perform steps from the link mentioned below and check if it helps.

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

Method 2: Remove the RAM(Random Access Memory) modules and insert them tightly into the slot and check if it helps.

Note :Removing the RAM Modules should be done by a computer technician.

Reply to us if you face any issues with Rapid Beeps  or any other Windows Issue, and we would be glad to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Hope this information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.  I have done memory tests and my RAM is fine.  Besides the beeps are not from the system speaker but through windows/my headset.  The beeps are not the main issue as I daid though, it's my devices not working once windows loads.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have tried clearing the bios too but no help.

Any ideas anyone?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ronnie,

You see  the lights on the keyboard during the boot process however after boot is completed the keyboard or mouse does not work and requires unplugging. These could happen if the the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager may be Enabled.

Perform these steps and check if it helps.

• Click Start, type Device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager from the returned list
  • Click to expand USB Root Hub and click the Power Management tab
  • Uncheck the option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and click OK

Note: You may see multiple listings for USB Root Hub, uncheck this option for all USB Root Hubs.
  • Close the Device Manager

Advance steps would be modifiying the registry.

1. Click Start
  2. type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
  3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
  4. In the details pane, right-click AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads, and then click Modify.
  5. In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK
    Note You can specify a value that is between 1 and 16.
  6. Exit Registry Editor.

Important:  This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Will try the registry change, had already tried unchecking the save power options.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again.

The devices no longer need to be disconnected/reconnected to get them working but there is still a delay for the mouse and keyboard starting to work, it's like the driver is not loading quickly enough or something.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Connect a different mouse and keyboard and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists then contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

It happens with any mouse or keyboard regardless of brand name.  They can't all be faulty so it has to be windows since the devices are powered up and lit up as windows loads then they go off again for a few seconds at the welcome screen, then the delay before the pointer can be moved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ronnie,

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7  by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Note: Check the title “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” for reverting to normal mode.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.