USB connection takes long time to detect.

hi ,

problem statement: 

whenever a new USB device( Pen Drive , Phones , HUB etc) are connected to the USB port , its takes a long time to detect the device and even  it installs the device driver every time i connect a new USB device ( e.g. if i connect nokia N8  and then Nokia N9 and then nokia N86 followed by other devices ) it  searches t drivers for the devices and takes a long sucking time  before i  work with the devices .

Troubleshoot Tried :

microsoft online support , fixme support,  different blog suport,  reinstalled USB  controllers drivers and finally  reinstalled OS itself.

believe me  , nothing worked  And later found that  the problem is not only with my OS , it persist with many  of my colleauges and friends  who is using Windows 7

At times its so frustrating that i feels to switch back to windows XP.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2019 Views 51,674 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

a) Does the USB work normally after detection?

b) Check if it's the same on other computers as well.

Try connecting the mentioned devices on other computers and check. If the issue persists on other computers as well then the issue is with the devices hence, run a virus scan or it could be by design.

Method 1: Run the hardware troubleshooter on your machine and check if it helps.

Use the following link to run hardware troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter  

The reason for the issue could be many.

1)      If your computer's memory is low it may slow down the detection of any external connecting devices.

2)      If you have other applications and processors running in the background while connecting the USB device, it may take some time to detect. Make sure to shut down all the unnecessary applications before connecting the USB devices.

3)      Sometimes it so happens that a computer needs more time to read USB devices having a huge amount of data in them and that could be one of the reason for late detection.

Make sure you keep your computer free from any virus or malware.

Additionally scan your USB devices for any viruses or malware using your anti-virus software.

Also, you may temporarily disable all security software after scanning your USB devices for viruses to check if any firewall or anti-virus software is making it slow to detect.

Note: enable them once you have performed the test.

Method 2: Place the computer in clean boot to check if any third party software or driver is causing the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Reset the computer to start as usual by following step 7 from the link.

Additional information:

Using memory in your storage device to speed up your computer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-memory-in-your-storage-device-to-speed-up-your-computer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same or very similar issue. I have some flash drives that are detected quite rapidly in Windows 7 but I also have a custom mass storage device hardware that takes over 2 minutes to mount. Its a fresh install of Windows 7 with all the updates. No other software. The same hardware is detected and assigned a drive letter in seconds on Windows XP. I've been searching for the answer to this or to get some direction on how to solve this for weeks. I wonder if there's the possibility of telling Windows 7 to treat the device that has a specific name as a mass storage device and to just use default drivers off the bat instead of being forced to wait so long for Windows 7 to just use its built in drivers. This is every single time it is plugged in.  VERY annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try to save the data and re-format the drive to NTFS and check it.

Mohanad

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't and work on mine. The mass storage device implementation in the firmware, which has limited space, is FAT only. The physical address of data relative to the boot sector is essential for the chip to do its job. It doesnt show up as an option on this chip to format it for anything other than ex Fat or Fat anyway.

I was hoping to get an idea about what Windows 7 is actually doing differently to Windows XP and how to get this device to be treated like XP treats it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Me too.
We just upgraded over 100 student computers this summer and are seeing the same thing.  It happens intermittently.  Some flash drives open right up. Others, it takes FOREVER to find a driver.  It doesn't seem specific to a Manufacturer or model.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am not a computer savy but this is what happened to me. I use a 64 GB drive to keep my personal stuff away from my work computer (latitude with W7). The USB drive was working OK in both the latitude and the personal computer (Optiplex with W7) except it occasionally fails to save files from the Optiplex. Files include exe files, folders, or documents. So, I decided to reformat the USB drive which didn't help. One bad day, I decided to disable the device and re-enable in the Optiplex. Thinking that the process is over, I pulled out the USB drive. Since that attempt, the usb takes 30+ minutes to get recognized in my Optiplex. I confirmed that this action didn't corrupt the drive because it works in the latitude and other computers. The Optiplex's USB ports accept other USB drives including the external 1.5TB HDD. Unfortunately I don't have another 64GB to test. Gave up after spending a lot of time reading hoping to find a fix. I was wondering whether Microsoft was able to find a solution yet.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know why, but I was suddenly "attacked" by this problem today, and I have been running Windows 7 "Ultimate" for several months, perhaps over a year, without the "slow USB drive" problem.  I have spent several hours this evening trying to get it resolved without success.  Now I have discovered that if I click on a subdirectory on my main ("C:") drive it takes several minutes to read the subdirectory whereas I could get immediate results 4 hours ago.  I give up for now.  It's late and I'm just too frustrated.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. All my USB devices take way to long to be recognized. Once Windows sees them they are fine. This is very frustrating. When I reboot my system - I have to wait two minutes for the computer to find my USB mouse. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft forums. 

Please provide us with the following information to get a better understanding of the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the mouse?

2. Do you get any error message on the computer?

3. Does the issue occur when you connect other USB devices to the computer?

4. Have you connected the mouse to other USM ports and check?

5. What is the software installed on the computer?

PLease post back with the required information to assist you in a better way.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did anyone get a response about maximum allowed USB drive size on 32 bit Windows 7 OS? 8 GB drive works good. 32 and 64 doesn't work good. I just accepted it as a system limitation and this is what I am doing now to ensure the backups are safe. It is a pain but I found it reliable. Copy the file or the folder to the USB drive. Insert the drive in another computer and open each file to ensure they are correct before deleting the files from my PC.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.