Uninstalled PDF and XPS Printer Capability

A windows tech person uninstalled my XPS and PDF printer drivers.  I can't seem to get them back and neither can people on live Microsoft.  I get the error message "Unable to install printer.  The print processor does not exist."  when I try to point to the XPS printer driver in the printer installation wizard.  There should be an easy fix for this.  Can anyone help?

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2018 Views 3,778 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
REPAIR INSTALL WORKS

I did a repair install of Windows 7 Professional.  All other attempts to fix the problem (by Microsoft tech support, Adobe, and Geek Squad) failed.  Luckily ibuypower sent a real Windows 7 Professional installation disk.

The repair installation made the XPS print capability available right away, which confirmed what I was saying to several of those who tried to help -- XPS print capability across Windows apps is part of Windows 7.  It really doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft Office although Office 2010 helpfully lets you save docs automatically to xps format.  That capability never stopped working for me.  It was the ability to print to xps (and pdfs) across Windows applications that stopped working.

If you encounter this problem, I found this article helpful on how to do a repair install:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

It was necessary to uninstall Windows Service Pack 1 before running the repair install.

After the repair install is done, there's a bunch of Windows updates you need (those that occurred after the original launch of Windows).  I was told 83 of those existed.  The first try to do them all at once failed.  But I found success by first updating only with Service Pack 1 (which takes a while), and then the number of updates fell to 34.  And as to those I've been doing them in batches of 10 at a time.  So far, that's generated only 2 failed updates.

After each batch is done I confirm I can still print to xps and pdfs and create a restore point before going on to the next batch.

My advice/request to Microsoft is that they should work on a general fix if you get the error message I got about a missing print processor (which I think is a Windows component) and not just a drivers.  Without the print processor working properly, the xps and pdf drivers won't install and just bomb out.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.