Unable to release and renew IP address when changing ethernet cables

Time for a fun and stupid laptop issue.  I have a Dell Latitude D630 which we have recently reimaged with Windows 7 Enterprise using SCCM.  The laptop works perfectly fine, except for one slight issue: The Ethernet card does not automatically release and renew an IP address when you change Ethernet cables.

Let me explain: When you remove an Ethernet cable from the laptop that is connected to one network (we'll say the internal corporate network), what should happen is that the Ethernet card should "release" the current IP address, and when it connects to, say, a different Ethernet connection that is, per say, an outside connection, it should be "renewing" a new IP address.  The problem is, no matter which connection it takes (whether on the corporate network or outside network, or vice versa), the laptop will not automatically release and renew the previous connection's IP address.

What I have done: Right now, the only way to get the machine to release and renew another IP address is to use the command prompt and use "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew".  Originally, we thought it was due to the Cisco VPN client that was causing the problem.  However, we have since removed the client, and it's still causing the issue.  We've also tried changing pretty much every setting in the Ethernet adapter, and while some changes were able to release/renew the address, it was only because the Ethernet device had to reset it's configuration.  Trying to switch connections still proved to be difficult.

Uninstalling/reinstalling the Ethernet device was also attempted, but that didn't help either.  And just in case anyone offered to point out that one of our Ethernet connections is bad, we've already tested this on a working laptop, and it worked fine.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone else have any other ideas of where I can look to, short of reimaging the machine again?  Thanks!

I have several (a dozen or so) Latitude D630 and D630Cs with Windows 7 installed with a very similar configuration - getting the drivers straight from Intel/Broadcom/AMD (Networking, Chipset, Wireless networking and video) - I will check one or two tomorrow to see if they easily go from one plugged in network to another.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I decided to reimage it, since I'm sure that no one's going to be able to figure out how to resolve this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem happens often with several versions of Windows and other operating system.   It does not always happen and it seems to often "random."  One possible solution is to "re-set" the Ethernet adapter drivers by "uninstalling" it inside Device Manager and then rebooting the PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We did try uninstalling the Ethernet drivers, we even told Windows to remove the drivers from the system when it uninstalled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows do cause problem.  I currently have a PC that will not receive a DHCP IP address but will work with a "static" IP address set in the Windows network TCP/IP configuration.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2023 Views 2,797 Applies to: