Unable to print .xps files with Windows 7

Hey there,

I cannot print .xps files from my computer with IE8, Firefox, Chrome or Microsoft XPS Viewer. Everytime I try to print the file, I get an error message which tells me "A printing error has occured; "X" cannot print all the pages of this document". My printer is fully functional and is on a network. After lurking around the answer forums, I have also tried unchecking the "XPS Viewer" box from the Microsoft Programs list, rebooting my computer and then checking it again. Is there something I am overlooking when it comes to printing .xps files on Windows 7?

Thanks for helping out guys.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Update:

I have also tried to set permissions for my .xps files and I get the error message: "Unable to set up your permissions account; The XPS viewer cannot activate any rights management on this machine."

I wonder if this might help to find out what the source of the problem is.

46 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I also am having this problem, but it didn't start until I installed service pack 1 for windows 7.  My printer also is fully functioning.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had a similar frustrating and unresolved problem with printing XPS files.

I have tried a recommended fix (posted on April 6, 2011 at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/printing-problem-with-xps-viewer/17ed9769-1260-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?page=1&tm=1303310704076) for disabling the XPS Viewer, restarting my PC, then re-enabling the XPS Viewer, but I still get the same printing errors for XPS files.

The following error message still occurs when I try print an .XPS document using the built-in XPS Viewer:

XPS Viewer

A printing error has occurred

The XPS Viewer cannot print all the pages of this document.

Close

The printing error above occurs for me with these printers:

Hewlett Packard LaserJet 9050dn

Xerox 700

I have not tried to print an .XPS document to other printers. When I send non-XPS documents to one of the printers above, the printouts are made without any errors.

I have created XPS documents on my PC using “Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel” and “Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1, Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601].” These XPS documents are giving me the same printing errors on both printers listed above.

I am still looking for a fix for this problem of not being able to print XPS documents from my PC. If someone has a fix to recommend, please post the fix here or post a link here to the fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a resolution to this??

We have the same issue - XPS document wont print, same error.

If its a one page document, it works.

Given the number of people with the same issue, surely its fixed now??

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Aaron31,

I received no replies to the problems that I described above in trying to print .XPS documents on my Windows 7 PC.

I gather that Microsoft does not consider this problem worthy of their attention.

My work-around solution has been to not use .XPS documents. If a document is only available as a .XPS document, then I won't bother to try to print it.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Unable to Print an XPS document in Windows 7

Error message:

The XPS Viewer cannot print all the pages of this document

Resolution after personal research:

The error message appears when attempting to print an XPS document to PaperPort when PaperPort is installed in Windows 7.

XPS documents cannot be printed into PaperPort versions 11 through 12.1. PaperPort 14 was not tested for this error message.

If an XPS document is opened using the Microsoft XPS Viewer and sent for printing to PaperPort, the above error message will appear every time.
If the XPS document is left opened and an attempt is made to print the same document on another printer that is already configured and working, the same error will appear.

Note: The error message will appear when the document is sent for printing to PaperPort, but if the XPS document is then closed, and re-opened; the XPS document may be sent for successful printing on any other already configured and working printer.

An XPS document may be sent for successful printing to an already configured and working printer even if the PaperPort Printer driver is installed and appearing under Devices and Printers, but XPS documents cannot be printed to the aforementioned PaperPort program versions while using their appropiate PaperPort Printer Drivers.

Error Message Print testing of the Microsoft XPS Viewer was performed on Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, and Windows 7 Home Premium editions only.

Note: This problem is experienced in Windows 7. The Microsoft XPS Viewer is able to print to PaperPort or any other already configured and working printer when installing the XPS Viewer driver available for Windows XP (available for Windows XP separately, and found at the Microsoft Web Site).

At this moment the XPS Viewer is unable to print directly to PaperPort in Windows 7 Basic through Windows 7 Premium (as tested above).

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi the above issue in relation to Paperport didn't apply to me (don't use it) but I did find a fix: I changed my default printer to another and it worked.

I had already installed PDFCreator (which mimics a physical printer, but creates a PDF) and it worked fine.  If you get desparate you may want to install PDFCreator or something similar, select it as your default printer, print to it from within XPS viewer, then print the PDF on the physical printer.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

It worked. Amazing. Thanx

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

7:26 AM 11/21/2012

Error message:

The XPS Viewer cannot print all the pages of this document

Note: If printing to PaperPort does not apply to you, scroll down to the 'Printing an XPS Document to a PDF Printer Driver or Physical Printer' section below.

Solutions for Printing to PaperPort:

Case: Not being able to print XPS Files to PaperPort (a document managing program that has a printer driver).

In order to print an XPS document to PaperPort in Windows 7 without getting an error message, do the following:

1. Open the XPS Document; Click File; Print; select the PaperPort Image Printer; click a checkmark into the Print to File box; click Print.
2. In File Name, specify a name for the XPS Document to be printed. The XPS Document will be printed to the PaperPort Folder, where PaperPort Documents get printed. The PaperPort Folder in your computer is located at: Libraries; Documents; Documents; My PaperPort Documents. This location should appear as default when printing to PaperPort.
3. Click Save. 'Preparing to print' message appears. Once printed, a tiny document will appear on PaperPort, with no information and which cannot be opened; then the XPS Document will appear, printed in PaperPort's built-in PDF Format.
You may delete the tiny document that cannot be opened, and you may work with the new XPS Document now in PDF Format.

Note: Using the Print to File option is the only way to print an XPS Document into PaperPort. You will always get two documents printed: An unusable (what would be an XPS document, that will not open), and the XPS Document you wanted to print, now appearing in PaperPort as a PDF Document.

You may also decide to simply Save or Print the XPS Document into PaperPort, and then print to a PDF Printer Driver or Physical Printer from there.

In order to Save or Print an XPS Document into PaperPort, do the following:

To Save the XPS Document:

Open the XPS Document; Click File; click Save as (specify a name for the XPS Document to be saved); click Save, the XPS Document will be saved to the default PaperPort operating Folder (Libraries; Documents; Documents; My PaperPort Documents) and will appear as an XPS Document, within PaperPort.
Note: an XPS Document may be Saved anywhere, for example: the Desktop.

To Print the XPS Document into PaperPort (similar procedures as above):

Open the XPS Document; click File; click Print (select Microsoft XPS Document Writer); click Print; In File Name, specify a name for the XPS Document to be printed; click Save, the XPS Document will be printed to the default PaperPort operating Folder (Libraries; Documents; Documents; My PaperPort Documents) and will appear as an XPS Document, but within PaperPort.
Note: an XPS Document may be Printed anywhere, for example: the Desktop.

Printing an XPS Document to a PDF Printer Driver or Physical Printer:

To print an XPS Document without seeing the Printing Error message, consider the following:

You cannot print an XPS Document to a Physical Printer or a PDF Printer Driver (such as Adobe PDF Writer, Foxit PhantomPDF, Avanquest Lightning PDF Professional, or similar), without first printing the XPS Document to a particular folder (such as the Desktop, for example), using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer that is installed as a printer in your computer.

To print an XPS Document using a PDF Printer Driver (to create a PDF Document from the XPS Document) do the following:

First print the XPS Document using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer:

1. Open the XPS Document; click File; click Print (select Microsoft XPS Document Writer); click Print; In File Name, specify a name for the XPS Document to be printed; click Save, the XPS Document will be printed to the folder location you have specified. This location may be the Desktop, for example.

2. From the XPS Document; click File; click Print (select an available PDF Printer Driver on your computer); click Print; In File Name, specify a name for the XPS Document to be printed; click Save, the XPS Document will be printed in PDF Format to the folder location you have specified (to the Desktop, for example).

To print an XPS Document on a Physical Printer do the following:

First print the XPS Document using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer:

1. Open the XPS Document; click File; click Print (select Microsoft XPS Document Writer); click Print; In File Name, specify a name for the XPS Document to be printed; click Save, the XPS Document will be printed to the folder location you have specified. This location may be the Desktop, for example.

2. From the XPS Document; click File; click Print (select the Physical Printer installed in your computer); click Print. The XPS Document will be printed to your Physical Printer.

Remember: The only way to print an XPS Document to a PDF Printer Driver or Physical Printer, without getting the error message, is to first print the XPS Document to a specified folder or the Desktop using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. You may then print an XPS Document into any other folder location using the available PDF Printer Driver on your computer, or you may print to any Physical Printer without getting an Error Message.

I hope you'll be able to print any XPS Document you may receive, just like we do.

Courtesy of:

Alberto E. Gongora
Smart Products, Ltd.
San José, Costa Rica - Central America

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Or save it in Google Docs and print it from there.  Accident, but it worked, hallelujah!

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2021 Views 14,199 Applies to: