Unable to connect to network printer: Win 7 x64 -> Vista x32. Can't find driver.

I'm setting up a new Windows 7 x64 laptop and I'm running into the following problem:

I have a Canon IP6700D printer attached to a desktop machine running 32 bit Vista.  The printer is shared.  I am trying to connect to it from a new Win 7 x64 laptop.  When I first tried to connect to the printer, it was found, but Win 7 claimed it couldn't find a driver for the printer. There was no 64 bit Win 7 driver on the Canon website.  I emailed Canon, and their response was, "the driver is built into Win 7, you should physically connect the printer to the computer and the driver will be loaded."

So I did this, and I got all the nice PnP popups, and the driver was installed.  I fired up Winword and printed a document, and everything looked great.

Then I disconnected the printer from the laptop, plugged it back into my Vista machine, and once again tried to connect to the printer as a shared printer.  I go into the Add Printer dialog, and the shared printer is found, but when I select it and click Next, it goes right back into the "Connecting to Canon iP6700D on .... / Checking Windows Update. This might take a while..." dance.  Which of course fails, or I wouldn't be writing this.  Error message is "No driver found. Windows can't find a driver for Canon iP6700D on the network. To locate one manually, click Ok...."

So is there any way to make this configuration work?  Do I need to share the printer differently, or install different drivers on the Vista machine, or what? Do I need to buy a new printer?

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 5,985 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

If your computer and laptop are on a same network you need to disconnect the printer and connect it physically to another. Let printer be connected to a single computer and then access it from the second one.

Step 1.
a. I would ask you to install the printer on your desktop which has Windows Vista and then use it.You can visit the following link and to download printer drivers and software.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip6700d#DriversAndSoftware

b. There are several ways to connect a printer to your computer. Which option you choose depends on the device itself, and whether you're at home or at the office.
You may refer to the articles below which explain how to install a printer in Windows 7.
Install a printer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer
Find and install printer drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

Step 2.
a. Now follow the document below to add the printer on Windows 7 Computer.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Share-a-printer

b. If the above steps does not help try the below steps.
We need to change the port and check. Let us perform the below steps to install this printer and check.
a. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
b. Click Add a Printer.
c. Select "Add a local printer".
d. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.
e. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.
\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]
Then click Next.
f. Choose the correct driver in the driver list. If no available driver, click the button Windows Update, wait for the process finishes and then look for the driver again.
g. Finish the installation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.