"The system cannot find the file specified" error while trying to install driver

I'm having trouble installing a driver for a USB device in Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1. The device was previously installed and working fine, but it stopped communicating with the computer around 4-6 weeks ago. 

When I try to manually reinstall the driver through the Devices and Printers panel, I always get "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The system cannot find the file specified." The device itself is a Thermo Nicolet IR200 infrared spectrometer for chemistry labs, but I've found people with identical problems on different devices all over the web (including at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/windows-will-no-longer-install-any-new-drivers/207bf7ba-c47c-4543-bdc6-3c1d1a4e5a87 and  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/window-has-found-a-driver-software-for-your/cacab405-07e5-4695-ae07-96aceaf10e02). The fact that the problem is so ubiquitous leads me to believe the problem lies with Windows, not with the driver itself. 

One site suggested I create a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce, but I already have this key so that can't be the issue. The Windows help page for this problem in Vista (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940267) says to remove the registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters, but I already do not have this key so that can't be the issue either.

Another person posted that they found some useful information at $windows$\inf\setupapi.dev, so I copied my most recent entry from that file (see below). It looks like it's tripping up when it tries to find d:\ContinuumXl.sys. As far as I can tell, no file with this name exists anywhere on the driver CD (d:\). Googling for "ContinuumXl.sys" leads me to http://mmrc.caltech.edu/FTIR/Nicolet/Nicolet%20Software/Nicolet/nicolet.inf (this is identical to the nicolet.inf file I have on my driver disk). I have no idea how to use this information though.

EXCERPT FROM SETUPAPI.DEV:

>>>  [Device Install (DiShowUpdateDevice) - USB\VID_0EBB&PID_0001\5&317ED1EC&0&1]
>>>  Section start 2012/03/13 13:31:07.955
      cmd: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI} 13:31:07.955
     dvi:      No class installer for 'Unknown driver software package'
     dvi:      Default installer: Enter 13:31:07.970
     dvi:      Default installer: Exit
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI - exit(0xe000020e)} 13:31:07.970
     ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard for USB\VID_0EBB&PID_0001\5&317ED1EC&0&1}
     inf:      Opened INF: 'd:\nicolet.inf' ([strings])
     inf:      {SetupCopyOEMInf: d:\nicolet.inf} 13:31:16.064
     sto:           {Import Driver Package: d:\nicolet.inf} 13:31:16.095
     sto:                Importing driver package into Driver Store:
     sto:                     Driver Store   = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore (Online | 6.1.7601)
     sto:                     Driver Package = d:\nicolet.inf
     sto:                     Architecture   = x86
     sto:                     Locale Name    = neutral
     sto:                     Flags          = 0x00000000
     sto:                Copying driver package files to 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}'.
     inf:                Opened INF: 'd:\nicolet.inf' ([strings])
     inf:                Opened INF: 'd:\nicolet.inf' ([strings])
     flq:                {FILE_QUEUE_COPY}
     flq:                     CopyStyle      - 0x00000000
     flq:                     SourceRootPath - 'd:\'
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'ContinuumXl.sys'
     flq:                     TargetDirectory- 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}'
     flq:                {FILE_QUEUE_COPY exit(0x00000000)}
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'nicolet.inf'
     flq:                     TargetDirectory- 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}'
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'GserWdm.sys'
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'MagnaWdm.sys'
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'ir200.sys'
     flq:                     SourceFilename - 'NicoletUsb.sys'
     flq:                {_commit_file_queue}
     flq:                     CommitQ DelNodes=0 RenNodes=0 CopyNodes=6
     flq:                     {_commit_copy_subqueue}
     flq:                          subqueue count=6
     flq:                          source media:
     flq:                               SourcePath   - [d:]
     flq:                               SourceFile   - [ContinuumXl.sys]
     flq:                               Flags        - 0x00000000
     flq:                          {_commit_copyfile}
     flq:                               CopyFile: 'd:\nicolet.inf'
     flq:                                     to: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\SET71E2.tmp'
     flq:                               MoveFile: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\SET71E2.tmp'
     flq:                                     to: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\nicolet.inf'
     flq:                          {_commit_copyfile exit OK}
     flq:                               CopyFile: 'd:\ir200.sys'
     flq:                                     to: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\SET726F.tmp'
     flq:                               MoveFile: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\SET726F.tmp'
     flq:                                     to: 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\ir200.sys'
     flq:                          {_commit_copyfile exit OK}
     flq:                          source media:
     flq:                               SourcePath   - [d:]
     flq:                               SourceFile   - [ContinuumXl.sys]
     flq:                               Flags        - 0x00000000
!!!  flq:                               Error installing file (0x00000002)
!!!  flq:                               Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
!    flq:                                    SourceFile   - 'd:\ContinuumXl.sys'
!    flq:                                    TargetFile   - 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\ContinuumXl.sys'
     flq:                               {SPFQNOTIFY_COPYERROR}
!!!  sto:                                    Failed to copy file 'd:\ContinuumXl.sys' to 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}\ContinuumXl.sys'. Error = 0x00000002
     flq:                               {SPFQNOTIFY_COPYERROR - returned 0x00000000}
!!!  flq:                               SPFQNOTIFY_COPYERROR: returned SPFQOPERATION_ABORT.
!!!  flq:                               Error 995: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
     flq:                          {_commit_copyfile exit(0x000003e3)}
     flq:                     {_commit_copy_subqueue exit(0x000003e3)}
!!!  flq:                     FileQueueCommit aborting!
!!!  flq:                     Error 995: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
     flq:                {_commit_file_queue exit(0x000003e3)}
!!!  sto:                Failed to copy driver package to 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{21a3a406-92f4-5766-bbf2-9267bce89068}'. Error = 0x00000002
     sto:           {Import Driver Package: exit(0x00000002)} 13:31:16.548
     inf:           Opened INF: 'd:\nicolet.inf' ([strings])
!    inf:           Add to Driver Store unsuccessful
!    inf:           Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
!!!  inf:           returning failure to SetupCopyOEMInf
     inf:      {SetupCopyOEMInf exit (0x00000002)} 13:31:16.845
!!!  ndv:      Driver Package import failed for new device...installing NULL driver.
!!!  ndv:      Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
     dvi:      {Plug and Play Service: Device Install for USB\VID_0EBB&PID_0001\5&317ED1EC&0&1}
     ump:           Creating Install Process: DrvInst.exe 13:31:16.923
!    ndv:           Installing NULL driver!
     dvi:           Set selected driver complete.
     dvi:           {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL} 13:31:17.017
     dvi:                No class installer for 'Unknown driver software package'
     dvi:                No CoInstallers found
     dvi:                Default installer: Enter 13:31:17.017
     dvi:                Default installer: Exit
     dvi:           {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL - exit(0xe000020e)} 13:31:17.017
     dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 13:31:17.033
     dvi:                No class installer for 'Unknown driver software package'
     dvi:                Default installer: Enter 13:31:17.033
!    dvi:                     Installing NULL driver!
     dvi:                     Writing common driver property settings.
!    dvi:                     Failed to set Device Description property: (null)
!    dvi:                     Error 1784: The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.
     dvi:                     {Restarting Devices} 13:31:17.111
     dvi:                          Restart: USB\VID_0EBB&PID_0001\5&317ED1EC&0&1
     dvi:                          Restart complete.
     dvi:                     {Restarting Devices exit} 13:31:17.236
     dvi:                Default installer: Exit
     dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 13:31:17.236
     ump:           Server install process exited with code 0x00000000 13:31:17.251
     ump:      {Plug and Play Service: Device Install exit(00000000)}
     ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard exit(00000002)}
<<<  Section end 2012/03/13 13:41:24.490
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0x00000002)]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks JonsonRobert. I took a look through all three threads and found a few things to try. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-encountered-a-problem: One person recommends going into "true Administrator state"; this does not work for me. Another person recommends setting up a virtual XP machine. This looked promising to me, but I've tried it just now - even after installing the driver from the CD while I'm inside the VM, the device doesn't show up in XP's device manager. This means that as far as I can tell, I can't even try to reinstall the driver from there. The thread does say that this method is hit-or-miss, since the device information still has to get passed from Win7 to the VM. 

Another option posted here was to roll the entire computer back to XP, but I can't do this as I need Win7 in order to run some other lab software. 

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-hardware-devices/20857-windows-found-driver-software-your-device-butencountered-error-while-attempting-install.html: The poster recommends getting a new driver from the device manufacturer. This is not an option for me, as no support is provided by the manufacturer, and I'm fairly sure the problem is on Microsoft's end anyway. They also recommend removing the device from Device Manager before attempting a reinstall, but this doesn't seem to make any difference to me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HAH!!!

I think I have found a workaround to this problem. 

The system was choking when it tried to find ContinuumXl.sys. I noticed in nicolet.inf (also available at  http://mmrc.caltech.edu/FTIR/Nicolet/Nicolet%20Software/Nicolet/nicolet.inf) that a number of different .sys files were listed under [SourceDisksFiles] - MagnaWdm.sys, GSerWdm.sys, ir200.sys, NicoletUsb.sys, and ContinuumXl.sys. The only .sys file I have on my installation CD is ir200.sys (since this is the particular type of instrument I have). I copied all the relevant files to the hard drive and then, in the local copy of nicolet.inf, removed all reference to any file except ir200.sys. Nicolet.inf also has a number of sections with headers pertaining to the installation of other instruments - I removed all of these except the one for irx00 USB driver. 

It installed without a hitch and I can speak to my IR again! I'm going to make a CD with my custom version of Nicolet.inf so that I can install it on the other lab computers hooked up to the other IR200s that I have.

It must be the case that until recently, Windows skipped over any missing .sys files but still installed the components that were present. At some point in the last couple of months it switched over to not installing anything unless ALL the files are found. I'm not sure if this is deliberate, if it's an error that got included with a Windows update, or if I have some corrupted or missing files on my end. It would be nice to know, since I'm sure other people who have this problem with other hardware would like a simpler workaround than what I had to go through.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HAH!!!

I think I have found a workaround to this problem. 

The system was choking when it tried to find ContinuumXl.sys. I noticed in nicolet.inf (also available at  http://mmrc.caltech.edu/FTIR/Nicolet/Nicolet%20Software/Nicolet/nicolet.inf) that a number of different .sys files were listed under [SourceDisksFiles] - MagnaWdm.sys, GSerWdm.sys, ir200.sys, NicoletUsb.sys, and ContinuumXl.sys. The only .sys file I have on my installation CD is ir200.sys (since this is the particular type of instrument I have). I copied all the relevant files to the hard drive and then, in the local copy of nicolet.inf, removed all reference to any file except ir200.sys. Nicolet.inf also has a number of sections with headers pertaining to the installation of other instruments - I removed all of these except the one for irx00 USB driver. 

It installed without a hitch and I can speak to my IR again! I'm going to make a CD with my custom version of Nicolet.inf so that I can install it on the other lab computers hooked up to the other IR200s that I have.

It must be the case that until recently, Windows skipped over any missing .sys files but still installed the components that were present. At some point in the last couple of months it switched over to not installing anything unless ALL the files are found. I'm not sure if this is deliberate, if it's an error that got included with a Windows update, or if I have some corrupted or missing files on my end. It would be nice to know, since I'm sure other people who have this problem with other hardware would like a simpler workaround than what I had to go through.

Wow, many thanks for this - you just saved us £4000 that Thermo Scientific wanted to charge us for the latest version of OMNIC, including drivers for Win7.

Well done that man!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem when trying install
Epson Perfection 1650 PHOTO Scanner

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

I have download the driver from Epson site when I try to install I get the following error

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error installing

here are the last log

flq:           CommitQ DelNodes=0 RenNodes=0 CopyNodes=1
     flq:           {SPFILENOTIFY_STARTQUEUE}
     flq:           {SPFILENOTIFY_STARTQUEUE - exit(0x00000001)}
     flq:           {_commit_copy_subqueue}
     flq:                subqueue count=1
     flq:                {SPFILENOTIFY_STARTSUBQUEUE}
     flq:                {SPFILENOTIFY_STARTSUBQUEUE - exit(0x00000001)}
     flq:                source media:
     flq:                     Description  - [windows cd]
     flq:                     SourcePath   - [c:\windows\inf]
     flq:                     SourceFile   - [usbscan.sys]
     flq:                     Flags        - 0x00000000
     flq:                {SPFQNOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA}
     flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA}
     flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA - exit(0x00000000)}
     flq:                {SPFQNOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA - returned 0x00000000}
!!!  flq:                source media: SPFQOPERATION_ABORT.
!!!  flq:                Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
     flq:           {_commit_copy_subqueue exit(0x00000002)}
!!!  flq:           FileQueueCommit aborting!
!!!  flq:           Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
     flq:           {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDQUEUE}
     flq:           {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDQUEUE - exit(0x00000001)}
     flq:      {_commit_file_queue exit(0x00000002)}
     ndv:      Device install status=0x00000002
     ndv:      Performing device install final cleanup...
!    ndv:      Queueing up error report since device installation failed...
     ndv: {Core Device Install - exit(0x00000002)} 12:55:17.954
     dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA} 12:55:17.954
     dvi:      Class installer: Enter 12:55:17.954
     dvi:      Class installer: Exit
     dvi:      Default installer: Enter 12:55:17.954
     dvi:      Default installer: Exit
     dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit(0xe000020e)} 12:55:17.954
     ump: Server install process exited with code 0x00000002 12:55:17.985
<<<  Section end 2013/11/05 12:55:17.985
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0x00000002)]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 30,512 Applies to: