The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

Hi Everybody,

after scanning FAT/FAT32/NTFS partition with attempt to recovery of bad sectors, system marks all free clusters as bad.
Event log is then filled with Error mesages "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.".

Hard disk is 100% healty. I bought it three weeks ago.  I am 100% sure it has no surface erros, because I have tested it with Seagate SeaTool and with HD tune Pro.

I have tested it on three different windows 7 computers  and I always got the same error.
CnMemory support do not want to accept it as error, they say that it is Microsoft Windows 7 problem.

Here is a video.

Some more info:
My OS = Windows 7 x64, with all updates till 2013.03.29.
Product name = "CnMemory Spaceloop 3TB usb2.0 sata external disk"
Inside the box is
Seagate ST3000DM001 SATA 3TB hdd with 4KB sector.

Thanks for help,
Eduard

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2019 Views 42,906 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Eduard,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.

It looks like system marks all free clusters as bad and event log registered as "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block". Let's analyze and identify the cause of the issue.

Perform the steps provided:

Method 1:

Queries or sets a volume's dirty bit. When a volume's dirty bit is set, autochk automatically checks the volume for errors the next time the computer is restarted.

Syntax-

fsutil dirty {query | set} <VolumePath>

Refer:

Fsutil dirty

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788091.aspx

let me know the output of the following command:

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <problematic drive>

Method 2:

You may run chkdsk from WINRE.

In order to troubleshoot this issue will run chkdsk from WinRE(Windows Recovery Environment )mode and check for the issue.

You can follow these steps to run CHKDSK :

a. Use the Windows 7 DVD to start the computer in Windows Recovery (WinRE).

b. In WinRE, open a command prompt. To do this, follow these steps:

c. On the Install Windows screen, select the appropriate Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options, and then click Next.

d. Click Repair your computer.

e. Click the Windows 7 installation that you want to repair, and then click Next.

f. Click Command Prompt.

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk drive: /p

chkdsk drive: /r

Chkdsk disclaimer:

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information helps. Do get back to us if you have more queries regarding Windows.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.