Q: Space bar on Toshiba Laptop Not Working This thread is locked from future replies

I have a toshiba satellite, windows 7 laptop. About a month ago I accidentally spilled water on the keyboard and now my space bar isn't working. I purchased a USB keyboard and connected it to my laptop and I am still experiencing the same issue (USB keyboard space bar isn't working). Currently I am using alt+255 in place of the space bar button which is time consuming. What can I do to have this issue resolved? Please assist, I'm desperate! 

Test Spacebar: try the bottom edge, left edge, top edge, right edge and at least 3 spots on the top of the space bar

Still no space from any position?

Is the FN key sticking?

My first suggestion would be to get yourself a can of air and blow out from under both keys.  See how much "gunk and or dust" or whatever else might be underneath of the key.  Test your keyboard again. 

If you still get no response from your space bar try

Control Panel, clicking Ease of Access, clicking Ease of Access Center, and then clicking Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard.        

• Check Use On-Screen Keyboard check box.

Use the On-Screen keyboard for a few minutes then go back and disable it.

Retry Satellite keyboard - is spacebar now working?

Boot into Safe Mode. Does spacebar work in Safe Mode?  If yes, it's a software issue.  Do a complete recovery to factory defaults.

Another possibility would be to remove the keyboard and check the cable connection to the motherboard.  Some are push in and some are friction fit connections.  Give it the visual check and also make sure it feels seated good and tight.  Once again test your keyboard.  If it still does not work I would suggest replacing the keyboard.

• Smitty
    As a responsible member of the community, please do mark a post as answer if it has resolved the issue you're experiencing. Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

82 people were helped by this reply

Hardware can't be fixed with software.

Check with Toshiba Support or a real computer shop (one that does its own in-shop service
    on Toshiba Laptops). That should be repairable.

Toshiba - Forums

Toshiba - Contacts

Toshiba - Drivers - navigate to your model

Toshiba - Support

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
    Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

20 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 29,100 Last updated: March 14, 2018 Applies to: