SD Card not recognized and asks if I want to format it, but isn't able to

I have a micro sd card that was formatted on my pc and place into my phone.  for some reason my phone no longer recognizes my card and everytime i turn the phone on it asks if i want to format the card.  whether i format the card or not, it is not recognized by my phone..... so, i turned to my pc once again.  when i place the card in my card reader i receive a message that my card needs to be formatted.  when i click ok, i get an error message that windows cannot format my disk.... i am using windows 7 ultimate.  thanks
Answer
Answer

Hi Leon Szczerbinski,

I would suggest you to format using disk management and check if issue persist. To do this follow the steps given below:

Step1:
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. 
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.
4. To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click OK, and then click OK again.

Check out the link given below which talks about Create and format a hard disk partition
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition

Step 2: 1.Here you need to go to computer by clicking on start button.
        2. Right click on the SD card.
        3. Select Properties.
        4. Click Format.
        5. And follow wizard that will walk you through the steps.

A good rule is to try and rename the card during format so that it will be recognized as a new device.

After formatting the card try to place the card in the phone and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists then you need to Contact your hardware or card manufacturer for replacing it with new card.

Thanks and Regards:
Shalini Surana - Microsoft Support.
Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think. 

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2020 Views 76,672 Applies to: