Receiving Code 43 error with NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT in Windows 7

Hi,

Code 43 Error + Red squiggly horizontal lines on my screen. Red vertical lines on "Starting Windows" screen

I installed a new hard drive on my computer several months ago and have had no problems with it.  I also installed Windows 7 at the same time.  Again, no problems until today.

When I booted up my computer, there were numerous bold vertical red lines on the "Starting Windows" screen.  Then, when my desktop appeared, there were fine wavy/squiggly horizontal red lines all across the screen.  Plus, the font and icon size were really large all of a sudden.  I was able to change the font size and icon size back to normal.   Nothing seems different about how my computer performs, but the desktop has these weird squiggly red lines, and some of the pictures when I browse the web have the same lines. 

What is causing these red lines all of a sudden?   I did notice that I get an "Code 43" error message (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems...) concerning my NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT when I looked it up in Device Manager.   So I tried to download the most current driver from NVIDIA (for Win 7 64-bit).   It didn't help and my computer still will not recognize/use this device.   I tried re-booting numerous times.     What does one do in this situation? 

The only thing I did differently today than any other day is watch a short video online from a secure website.   That's it!   Please help...thx!

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2019 Views 40,366 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Gemwoman,

As you figured out, the issue is related to Graphic card \drivers.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

Step 1:To confirm if this issue is related to graphic card, Boot the computer in enable low resolution video mode and then test to see if the issue persists. To do this, follow the steps below:

Access the advanced boot options menu by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key beforeWindows starts. On the advanced boot options menu select enable low resolution video mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

If the issue doesn’t persist you can confirm that the issue is related to graphic card.

Step 2:Uninstall and then reinstall the drivers and check if that makes any difference

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.           Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.  In Device Manager, Display adapter and then double-click the device name.

3.  Click the Driver tab, and then click uninstall Driver and follow the instructions.

Download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If the issue still persists,

Step 3:For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation.

Or check with your device manufacturer for any known issues

http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.