Problem getting driver for networked Canon i865 on Win 7 to printer attached to Linux Desktop

Hi all, I have a my trusty old Canon i865 printer attached to my Linux Desktop (Mageia #3 64bit). I dual-boot this desktop with Windows 7 64bit. I was able to successfully install the printer in Windows 7 using the printer wizard that failed initially to find a driver but eventually accessed the internet somewhere and downloaded and installed the correct driver - and my printer works on Windows 7. However, I mainly use Mageia as my main system.

Now the problem: I would like my daughters to be able to print to the printer when it is attached to Mageia. My daughters laptops are Windows 7 - 1 x 32 bit and 1 x 64 bit. After much trawling around the internet I was finally able to get my daughters laptops to find the shared printer on Mageia. HOWEVER, and this is the real problem, Windows can't find a driver for the printer to install and there is no provision in the printer wizard for networked printers that allows me to specify to search the internet for a driver, it only allows me to specify if I have the disk!

Now I know that Canon is pathetic and don't have a driver on their site to download anymore to the general public, but how do I go about obtaining a driver to install the networked printer????? So darn close, yet so far!

Frustrated!   

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2018 Views 330 Applies to:

Note the port name the printer is installed on when detected on the Linux LPD Daemon.

Locally attach the printers and see if you can install the printers using the same options you have used already. Then change the port settings for the detected printer from the detected setup to the LPD queue on the Linux server. It is normally in the form \\PCName(IPAddress)\QueueName and is normally a local port not a network port.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow, thanks HairyFool for the quick reply. I had thought about connecting the laptops and installing locally but I had read on a thread somewhere that that wouldn't work. But what you have proposed just might. Except I don't know where to look for the port allocation once the printer is installed. I may have found it, (just quickly booted into Windows on my dual-boot system) but I am unsure of what I have to do. Am I on the right track if you look at a screen dump of my Windows 7 printer install and port-remap? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes except that it was not a TCP port I used but a Local Port instead. I think there is a way of running the LPD Daemon in Linux so you can print to the IP address of a Linux box but I am no expert on unix.

Try instead using the example I gave in the Local Port -> Port name box (use your values for the italics)

If that does not work you may have to use the Common Unix Printing Service. Try opening a Web browser and load http://

linuxPCipaddress:631 If that loads the CUPS is working in which case you may find web printing will work

Sorry this didn't help.

Woooohooo! Success! It wasn't as tricky as I thought - it took some of the things that I had read elsewhere and what you had said. So what worked for me. I attached the printer to my Windows 7 laptops. Then Windows did 2 different things 1 each on each laptop. On the first, Windows automatically searched the internet/Microsoft site, downloaded and installed the correct driver for my Canon i865. On the other laptop, the process failed completely and I was left with a Canon i865 identified as an "other" device in Device Manager. So I did what I had read elsewhere as a procedure and ran Windows Update which found the correct Canon i865 driver. I selected it to download and Windows downloaded and installed the driver. Now I went back to the "Add Printer" Wizard for when I searched for my printer on the network (which failed so I had to look for it manually). Anyway, now I continued the Wizard and eventually got to a dialogue that listed printer manufacturers (where previously my Canon i865 wasn't listed) and I now could navigate the list to find my i865 (this was again different on both laptops, but the result was the same). I selected my printer from the list and windows installed the correct driver. I then did a test print (again I had 2 different experiences on my 2 laptops, but still success!) and low and behold, the printer whirred into action and produced a print from each of the Windows 7 laptops!
Phew an intense few days doing a LOT of reading and now success finally!

Thanks for all the help. I am writing up the experience/procedure and will post it when I have it complete, just in case someone else wants to do this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay then.......false alarm of joy! I just tried to print a document from my Linux Desktop to the locally attached printer - and it doesn't work! The job just sits in the queue. I tried to print from one of Windows 7 laptops that had successfully printed to the printer after the successful install of the driver above - this also failed! I have no idea now what the heck is going on, but at least it sort of worked there for a while. Back to he drawing board to work this out! :-(

Sorry this didn't help.