Print Spooler keeps restarting

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.
How can I fix this issue in 7?

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2018 Views 284,830 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Methodman85,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

To change or restart the Print Spooler service

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.