Print spooler gets corrupted after every restart

original title:  Corrupted Printer Spooler

I am having huge issues with my spooler.  I have tried every fix I have found on this website, and they work.  Up until my laptop is restarted, then Windows 7 seems to be obsessed with restoring the corrupted files.  It seems like it has it programmed for the back up files to be the ones running the joint.  We have renamed the files, we have ran all the scans on here, we have done the whole dependencies stuff (which never worked to begin with.)  When I do the scans, it says it has found and repaired the corrupted files.  Then I turn my laptop off.  Turn it on, VOILA!  Corrupted once more.  I really don't want, nor do I think I should have to, go through this garbage every time I want to print.  I would like a permanent solution, please.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 7,613 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello VxShady,

I was experiencing the same problem and your last post gave me some ideas, leading to the following fix that worked for me.

1. Open a command prompt with right-click and use the "Run as Administrator" option.
  2. Use sfc to restore the correct version of spoolsv.exe, "sfc /scannow".
  3. Start the Spooler service to confirm it works and set it to start automatically.
  4. Open a Windows Explorer with right-click and use the "Run as Administrator" option.
  5. Navigate to the Windows\System32 folder, right-click on spoolsv.exe and choose the properties option.
  6. Tick the Read Only checkbox and click OK.
  7. Copy the spoolsv.exe file to the desktop for good measure.
  8. Reboot.

The program or service that was replacing your spoolsv.exe file with a corrupt version should now be unable to overwrite it. This solved the problem for me and spooler service started automatically after the reboot.

I hope this helps you too!

Regards, Dave

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.