Poor wireless signal Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop 1397 WLAN mini-card

I have tried just about everything to improve the wireless signal which deteriorates sharply as the PC is moved a few feet from Belkin router.   Other Dell Community members have reported that switching from the supplied driver to a "default" Microsoft driver dramatically improved things and suggested:   Microsoft, Driver Date: 10/1/2008, Driver Version: 4.176.75.21   Can anyone point me to where this driver can be downloaded or offer alternative cures?
Answer
Answer

1  I solved the problem by uninstalling the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility then [in Control Panel, System, Device Manager] deleting the card & letting Windows re-detect then re-install it [using its default driver].  Problem solved - I now receive wireless signals well. 

2  I also went a stage further but then had to backstep to what I wrote in para 1 above. 

2.1  I tried updating the driver with Dell's updating facilities but [although the driver version number was the same] the low reception problem returned.  I repeated the solution in my para 1 and it was fine again. 

2.2  I updated the driver using Windows Update  but once again [although the driver version number was the same] the low reception problem returned.  I repeated the solution in my para 1  and it was fine again. 

Both the Windows & Dell drivers have come from Broadcom at some stage as they made this card.

I also tried to contact Dell Support six times during my warranty period but never got a reply.

I based this solution on what I had learnt from the forum user Jack MVP.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 11,009 Applies to: