pc hangs at CLASSPNP.SYS loading

When I boot my pc it freezes forever at CLASSPNP.SYS loading.  (  I don't remember how I did it  but I managed to get a kind of boot log on a screen)   I have to push  reset button again and again and suddenly after  several times and an hour later  it goes ok and everything looks fine. That's all the same with the safe mode too.  Had this problem a few days ago and it appeared  today again.  Now I am afraid to reboot my pc.    Is it possible to fix it somehow?
|
Answer
Answer
Hi,

1. Do you remember making any changes to your computer prior to the issue occurring?

Follow the steps and check if they help.

Step 1:

If you have any unnecessary external device connected to the machine, you may unplug them & check if you are able to boot to the desktop.

Step 2:

a. Boot the computer to windows recovery options and select startup repair.

b. If startup repair fails, insert the Windows recovery disc and select command Prompt and type in: rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys classpnp.old and select stratup repair again.

Step 3:

You may try to run chkdsk from Windows Recovery Environment & then try to boot to the desktop normally. 

a.Follow the steps from this link to boot into Windows Recovery Environment and open the command prompt. For more information, follow the section  ‘To open the System Recovery Options menu on your computer’  from this link.

b. In the command prompt window, type ‘chkdsk /r’ and press Enter.

Chkdsk disclaimer.
Important:
While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

9 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2021 Views 25,813 Applies to: