On Windows7x64, I receive "unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver package" when installing any new printer

I originally ran into this problem trying to fix my Adobe PDF (virtual) printer, but now I receive this error message when I attempt to install every printer. I went to Control Panel and validated my copy of Windows 7. I am up to date on al the required updates.

I almost feel I have "lost" the core driver package, and I would love to just simply re-install it. But, I can't find it on my Windows 7 install disc. I can't find an MSU or Hotfix that would just reinstall my core driver package.

Unfortunately, my System Restore only went back a month. I have no idea when the ability to access the "core driver package" went away, but I've already gone back to my earliest remaining System Restore.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community Forum.
  1. What is the make and model of your printer?
  2. Did you make any significant hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  3. Is your system on network domain?
  4. Are you trying to install the driver from the manufacturer's website or from the driver disc?

The issue may arise if the driver for the printer is corrupted or else if the full feature pack of the driver is not correctly installed. So, I would suggest you try the following steps and check if the issue persists:

Method 1:
Uninstall all the driver packages installed in your system completely from the Programs & Features.
  1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
  2. Select the printer driver program, and then click Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Now, reboot your system and install the driver from the printer driver disc.

If you do not have the disc, install the full feature pack from the manufacturer's website.

Method 2:
You may also try to run the following troubleshooter and check for the issue.

Also, you my refer to the troubleshooting steps as suggested in the following link:

Hope this information is helpful. However, if the issue still persists, please post back with your answers to the asked questions and your results to provide you with further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Harkanwar,

To answer your questions as best as I can:

1. The last one I tried was "HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS".

2. I don't know. I had a huge problem on Jan 16th getting an "HP Photosmart Premium C410a" to work, and I still only have it working as a printer, but not as a scanner or fax machine. But other than that, this problem shows up when I try to add a printer, which is fairly infrequently.

3. My system is not on a network domain. It's Win7x64 Ultimate, with Bitlocker enabled.

4. I am trying to install the dirver that Windows has built-in when you go to ControlPanel->HardwareandSound->DevicesandPrinters->Addaprinter->Addalocalprinter->Useanexistingport->FILE:->HP->HPColorLaserJet2800SeriesPS

If you are interested in why I want to install this printer, see:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6086519

With respect to the methods you provided, Method 1 failed to work because I don't see the printer software this pertains to installed at ControlPanel->ProgramsandFeatures->Programs. Did I make clear that I get this problem when I am trying to install the printer, ie run the software that will install the drier software or whatever it needs? Since this step gives me the error message, I don't think the printer software is likely to show up in this list.

With regards to Method 2, I ran the troubleshooter. I asked it to look into the "Adobe PDF Converter" printer, and the only thing the Troubleshooter found was that it was not the default printer. Making it the default did not fix the problem I had printing to it. To be fair, the only reason I have this printer around is because it was installed a long time ago. All my attempts to install it with Acrobat X or Acrobat XI have failed, presumably because of the "core driver package" problem.

Here are two of the error messages that I receive:

and:

Thank you for looking into this. I was hoping there was some way to ensure my "core driver package" is functioning properly. The little bit that I've been able to find about this problem online talks about some magic "NTPRINT.INF" file that I was hoping if I could find after doing the right "expand" command line on my Windows 7 install disc, I could use to ensure the registry entries and DLL's for the "core driver package" are all the way they are supposed to be.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the issue.

Method 1:

Find and install printer drivers in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/find-and-install-printer-drivers

Method 2:

You may also refer to HP support website for further troubleshooting:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-topics/printer-installation/printer-troubleshooting.html

Method 3:

Try to install the printer in new user account.

If that does not help then I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if you are able to install the printer driver.

Create a user account  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Also refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2020 Views 11,619 Applies to: