NVIDIA, Realtek high definition audio driver error code 39 after installing windows update, win7 x64

Last night I had an automatic windows update. When I turned my computer back on, my sound did not work.

Volume icon on the taskbar has a red circle with an x. Hovering over it says "No Audio Output Device is Installed."
Clicking on it runs a troubleshooter. It claims to re-install the drivers, but never actually works. 
I have also run microsoft fix-it with the same results. 

In the device manager, all sound drivers have the yellow alert triangle. Under properties, they all read:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
All of them say that they are up to date after selecting reinstall. 

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling with windows update, reinstalling from the manufacturers, disabling and re-enabling, all with computer restarts in between. Nothing has improved the situation. 

See the following picture for more information:

I have searched the web and tried every single combination of restarts, uninstalls, and reinstalls. The solution I need is just not that simple. 

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2019 Views 2,072 Applies to:

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your post.

It seems that, you need assistance to fix the sound issue of your computer. Please answer the followings to assist you with the computer’s issues.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. Do you have Windows 7 installation disc with you?

Refer to the following information to work on sound issue of your computer.

As per the error code, we have to go throught the methods mentioned in the following link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/f6fd5786-139a-43dc-ba3e-21eeda888f4f

As you have tried required troubleshooting methods to fix the issue, we can go ahead perform the system restore to fix the issue.

Perform system restore to a system restore point where everything was fine.

System Restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.