Question

Q: Numeric keypad not working properly. Please help.

My numeric Keypad is not working properly.

I cannot type 3 4 5 6 7 and 8 with the numeric Keypad. key 7 turns on scroll lock some how.  5 and 8 cause page jumps. etc 

I can type 0 1 2 9 . / * - + and enter with numeric Keypad properly.

Its not a mouse key problem as I have searched on Google. My mouse keys are off.

Rest of the keyboard is working fine.

please give me a solution to the problem. 

Thanks

Hello Mateen,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing the issues with the numeric keys. This issue might occur due to hardware corruption or driver corruption. Let’s try to identify the actual cause and troubleshoot accordingly.

However, before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. Does the issue occur with a different keyboard?

3. Are you experiencing this issue with a particular program or with all the programs?

I would suggest you to open On-Screen Keyboard and check if the numeric keypad works fine.

Refer the link to open On-Screen Keyboard: Type without using the keyboard (On-Screen Keyboard)

If the issue still persists with the On-Screen Keyboard, then it might be possible that those keys are not working correct because of in proper drivers.

You can visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers for the keyboard and check if that helps.

For driver updates, refer this link: Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

If the issue doesn’t persists with the On-Screen Keyboard, then check all the keys of the keyboard and check if there is any key left pressed, damaged or have dust in it.

If all the keys are fine, then try to use the same keyboard with the different working computer and check if you are experiencing the same problem. This will help determine if the problem is the keyboard or the computer.

You may also try to use the different keyboard and check if it works fine.

If the problem goes away with another keyboard and occurs on the other computer with this keyboard, then the keyboard is defective and needs to be replaced. 

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using HP Laptop ProBook 4530s.

I'm only using one keyboard i.e with the Laptop.

This issue is on all programs.

Numeric Keyboard of On-Screen Keyboard is working fine. The keys are not damaged in any way and are clean. 

I cannot check the keyboard on other computer as attached with Laptop.

Also I tried turning the mouse keys on and then off again and it fixed my numeric keypad for 2 days and then the problem came back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Mateen,

Thank you for the information and keeping us updated on the status of the issue. 

I would suggest you to run the Hardware and Device troubleshooterIt helps in checking the common issues and makes sure that devices or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

Refer the link:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Please reply with the results, in order to help you fix the issue. 

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I tried troubleshooting, but no problems were detected by it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mateenyaseen,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Let's try the methods below and check.

Method 1: Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows

I would suggest you to refer to the article: “Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows” and follow all the troubleshooting steps given in it from this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

If the issue still persists, then try the next method and check the issue.

Method 2: Check the issue in Safe Mode and perform a Clean Boot.

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue persists.

In Windows, we can start the computer in different advanced troubleshooting modes to find and fix problems on the PC. One of such troubleshooting mode is Safe Mode. Here we start Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. Please refer to the steps in this link to boot the computer in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the numeric keypad works fine in the safe mode, then you may boot the computer back to the normal mode and then perform a clean boot to check if the issue is caused by any software conflicts. You may please note that performing a clean boot does not fix the actual issue. It just helps us in identifying the root cause of the issue.

Step 2: Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow all the steps given in this link and try to figure out the application or service causing this issue. Please note that performing a clean boot does not fix the original issue. It just helps us in understanding the cause of the issue.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, refer to the article “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” for Windows 7, given under the section “More Information” to reset the computer to start as usual from the above link.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,614 Last updated: June 14, 2018 Applies to: