Question

Q: Need a Windows 7 compatible PCI/AGP slot graphics card.

I need a PCI or AGP graphics card for a Dell 4550 with a 250 watt power supply. Most card require 300 watts or higher and I don't want to replace the power supply in addition to the card. I have a card (ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series) that works (sometimes caused video errors...with upgraded drivers that are allegedly Win7 compatible).  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer

A:

I need a PCI or AGP graphics card for a Dell 4550 with a 250 watt power supply. Most card require 300 watts or higher and I don't want to replace the power supply in addition to the card. I have a card (ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series) that works (sometimes caused video errors...with upgraded drivers that are allegedly Win7 compatible).  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IINM there are no Radeon X, 9000, or lower series cards that are supported in Windows 7. Vista drivers may or may not work using compatibility mode.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

Depending on what kind of errors you're getting it may suggest that the PSU is already too low wattage for those video cards. The x1050s (RV370 GPU core) apparently idle at twice the power consumption of the 9550's (RV350 GPU core). Consumption can spike quite a bit higher during video or game playing. It's not just the overall wattage that is at issue, it is how much of the available power is distributed at each voltage level. Excepting integrated onboard video chips, look at 300 watts as being the minimum you need for even a bottom end Windows 7 compatible video card. That practically leaves you with only 1 or 2 each models of cards based on either ATI or Nvidia GPUs. For the cost of PSUs you might as well go right to 450 or 550 watts and have your pick of most of the video cards that are out there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 10,385 Last updated: March 31, 2018 Applies to: