my amber charging light stays on even after the bty is fully charged...it does not change back to a white light when pluggedn into an outside power source

After my battery runs down, I plug into outside power to charge the battery .the white power light comes on ..the battery  amber charge lite comes on...but after the battery  is charged..the amber  light stays on?     This  just  started the past week.  In the past the amber charge light turned  white   after the battery was fully charged?    My computer is a  laptop  TOSHIBA Model  Satellite M645

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 1,908 Applies to:
Answer
After my battery runs down, I plug into outside power to charge the battery .the white power light comes on ..the battery  amber charge lite comes on...but after the battery  is charged..the amber  light stays on?     This  just  started the past week.  In the past the amber charge light turned  white   after the battery was fully charged?    My computer is a  laptop  TOSHIBA Model  Satellite M645

Hi

When a Li-ion battery loses a certain percentage of it's charging capacity, you may see inconsistencies, such as the one you are describing in the charging circuit for the laptop.

The typical lifetime for a Li-ion battery is 1 to 3 years, depending on how it is used.

I would recommend that you create a battery report to check the status of the battery. Perform the following.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories. Right click the Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

2. In the command prompt window, copy/paste the following command.

powercfg -energy -output %userprofile%\desktop\energy-report.html

Press ENTER.

Wait until the command completes (usually about 2 minutes).

This will create a file named energy-report.html and place it on your Desktop.

3. Go to the Desktop and double click the file to open.

Scroll down to the Battery: Battery Information section.

You will see:

Design Capacity xxxxx

Last Full Charge xxxxx

(Where xxxxx is a number)

Copy this section and paste it in a reply here, for analysis.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.