Mouse Scrolling Down Goes Up Slightly

Have just purchases two new Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 for two different computers. On both computers (Windows 7 x64, all current updates), when scrolling down using the wheel, the page will scroll up a couple of lines every so often as you go down. This seems to happen in all applications - IE8, Word, Outlook, etc.

I've tried the default Windows 7 drivers and the latest IntelliPoint software (7.10.344.0) but the problem is the same.

I used the Microsoft Mouse Diagnostics to check and if I monitor the "Last Z value", I see it goes to -30 (as it should) as I'm scrolling down and every so often it will change to 60 and the page will jump up slightly before continuing down.

This is driving me crazy, can anybody help?

Hi CrossBolt,

Change the settings of the mouse device

i.                    Click the Start button

ii.                  Click Control Panel

iii.                 Click Hardware and then click Mouse.

iv.                 Click the wheel tab and reduce “The following number of lines at a time”.

You may even try the steps in the below links and check if it is helpful: Troubleshoot a wireless mouse that does not function correctly: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122 

Resolve problems with mouse button or scrolling settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303091

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

126 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Samhrutha but no luck with your suggestions. I haven't had a chance to try the mouse on anything other than Windows 7 x64 but will endevour to do so.

One thing I have discovered it that the problem is the same when scrolling up - every so often it jumps back down a few lines.

I've also tried other Microsoft mice and they work fine. Seems to be something with the Wireless Mouse 5000 and/or Windows 7 x64.

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi CrossBolt,

To narrow down on the issue you may try to plug in the mouse to another computer. You may even try to reduce the hardware acceleration of the computer:

Try changing the hardware acceleration and check if that helps, steps to follow:

i.                    Right click on the Desktop

ii.                  Choose Personalize

iii.                Select Display setting

iv.                 In that select Advanced setting

v.                   Click on Trouble shoot

vi.                 Select Change settings tab

vii.               If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

viii.             Set the Hardware accelerator to different levels and check.

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Samhrutha,

Tried to follow your instructions but the Change Settings button is greyed out. I have a nVidia GeForce 9600 GT video card installed (with the latest drivers) which may be taking control. I looked through the nVidia control panel but could not find anything that sounded like it might be related to hardware acceleration.

Currently, I have uninstalled the IntelliPoint software and set the number of scroll lines to 3. The problem still exists but is less noticeable than before and consequently less annoying.

If I reduce the number of scroll lines to 1, the problem is hardly noticable at all but then wheel scrolling is too slow for my liking.

If I choose the One Screen at a Time option, the problem seems to disappear but then scrolling is too fast.

I can't win. :-)

I'll keep trying things and post here if I manage to solve it.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! CrossBolt,

Same problem... Just upsetting! I cant figure it out either. I tried all the same things as you. I am on Windows XP and its all the same problems. I work with alot of acounting programs that need scrolling so I think I am going to just buy a differant mouse. :(

Just an FYI, I uninstalled the Mouse Driver and changed the XP standard setttings to One Screen at a Time option and sped up the scrolling speed, then I went back and installed the driver and also modified the scrolling speed. It seemed to have done the trick... for now. Hope that helps.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

kleo,

It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/threads

Thank you

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, and it is very annoying.  I have run the "mousinfo" diagnostic on which there is a Scroll Monitor which displays a graph of scroll movements.  When scrolling down on a web page there are intermittent up scroll spikes showing even when I am scrolling down.  

Not sure if that is a software of hardware error, but it certainly exists.  I would like to know how to fix this. 

Thanks. 

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all,

Due to the age of this thread and to avoid any confusion we will now be locking this thread. If you are experiencing this issue, we ask you to please create a new thread here and provide all relevant information regarding your issue. Doing so will allow the community and us to focus more closely on your issue.

Thanks! 

57 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 202,673 Applies to: