Monitor sleep mode makes computer play device disconnect sound

I have 2 brand new Dell Optiplex 380 and 780 PCs with optional DVI boards for the Integrated Intel G41 display adapters running Windows 7 Pro (Dell OEM).

Whenever the power settings are set to put the monitor to sleep, the computer plays the "Device Disconnect" sound every 7 seconds.  This only happens when using the Dell provided Intel driver and the monitor is plugged into the DVI card.  The problem does not happen when using the Microsoft default video driver or if the monitor is plugged directly into the VGA analog video port.

I want to use the Intel driver, because it has the pop-up application which allows video settings to be changed including rotation of the screen image.  This has been reported to Dell, but they indicate it must be a problem with Windows 7.  It does not happen with Dell/Intel drivers under Windows XP-SP3.

Answer
Answer
I was having the same problem with all Dell hardware (PC and Monitor).  I didn't have the issue with our XP image, but once I began work on the Win7 image I began to experience it.

I found that it was only a problem when I had the monitor plugged into the DVI port, but not the VGA port.

To fix the issue, I went into the monitor menu, and changed the input from AutoDetect, to DVI.  

Hope this helps.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 8,485 Applies to: