Q: Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center Problems During Recent Windows Update This thread is locked from future replies

Windows 7 Professional  32/64

Windows Update about a week ago downloaded Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.  Apparently it did not install properly on Windows 7.  Two  windows messages now pop up during boot-up.  They are the same exact messages one on top of the other that have to be clicked off.  Below is the exact message:

" There is a problem with the Mouse and Keyboard Center Software installation.  To fix the problem you must remove the Mouse and Keyboard Center Software, and then run the Mouse and Keyboard Center set-up again.  For information about to add or remove a program see Windows help."

Message makes sense, but the action of removing the software is not possible.  In the program list you high-light Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center Software, and you are given one choice.  That choice is uninstall, with no repair choice.  Either Microsoft is lazy, or has finally reached being just plain stupid.  When you click the install here is the screen that pops-up:

" Setup cannot continue because one or more of the required installation files are missing or damaged. Run setup again from the software CD-ROM or another reliable installation source."

If you can't uninstall or repair the screwed up version, then when you try to re-install it will not let you proceed, and states that you already have the software installed and it won't work properly, or won't un-install or repair properly.  You are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I do not want these two double messages showing when I boot my computer.

For some strange reason I believe that this software was not tested properly to run on Windows 7.  I never install driver updates provided in Windows Update, but my wife checked the box as an optional update.  Big Mistake!!!!!

What can I do to remove this Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center Software from my computer.  I have downloaded Ver. and and neither will install until the problem with the defective installed software is removed.  WHERE IS THE REPAIR BUTTON???

Thank you,

Bernard Butler

You must have the patience of Job to work for MSFT.

I, too, have the same issue as Mr. Butler, with w2 additional complications:

(1) Assuming it was a Win Update that caused the problem, I went to Sys Restore to restore to an earlier time and was shocked to find that, even though my System Protection is turned on, there has never been a restore point created. 
(2) In addition to this annoying pop-up message, I have now lost all but text in all my apps (Word, Publisher, etc) and my browsers.  None display any graphics.

I tried your Method 1 fix and received a message that it only worls on 64 bit systems.  Mine is 32.

I tried Method 2 and tried to install; rec'd msg saying I had to UNinstall it first. 

I'm trying to take your advice but thus far I've wasted three hours on all this and have gotten nowhere.  Suggestion, please...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

20 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 15,551 Last updated: March 23, 2018 Applies to: