Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 shows up in Win 7 64-bit Home Premium Devices & Printers but MNouse doesn't connect

I initially did get my Bluetooth Mouse 5000 to connect to my Sony Vaio VGN FW495J running latest version of Win 7 64-bit Home Premium.  But ' "something happened" (how and why I have no idea) and now it won't work.  I've checked Services and Windows Bluetooth Service and Bluetooth Support Service are Both running (and I also shut them down and recyled them just to double-check), and reconfigured Windows Bluetooth Support Service to use the Local System Account (and B-T-W:  according to Microsoft, that change is supposed to make the "Bluetooth Devices" option show up under "Control Panel", but it does NOT do that:  I have NO "Bluetooth Devices" option Anywhere - I originally got the system to recognize the Mouse from the "Devices and Printers" panel).

I've also checked the Mouse and verified that the batteries are good (the green light shows) and tried to "re-pair" by pressing the Bluetooth button on the right side of the underneath of the mouse (and confirmed that the light blinked on and off red and green), but I still can't get it to pair.

So I tried to delete the "BLuetooth Notebook Mouse 5000" icon in Control Panel Devices and Printerrs and found an option to "Remove Device" - except it didn't actually remove the icon; instead once I hit that it simply eliminated the "Remove Device" option from the left-click pulldown menu.  And I'v also tried to "Add Device" but I get no New device option to add.

So what gives?  Anyone with any ideas of how to resolve this problem?  I suppose if I could at least eliminate the existing Bluetooth Mouse device in Devices & Printers then I could start over from scratch and "Add Device" again to allow the Laptop to find the Mouse and re-add it once again, so if anyone can help me do that, this will be a good first start -

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1. Did you make any recent hardware or software changes on your computer prior to this issue?

Check if the below articles helps you.
Troubleshoot response failures in wireless keyboard or mouse
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838398/

Troubleshoot a wireless mouse that does not function correctly
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122

Connect a Bluetooth device that does not have or require a transceiver
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952818

Thanks and Regards
Umesh P - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Umesh:

NO:  I did not make any recent SW or HW changes - at least not any that I can even vaguely recall.  I had the MS 5000 mouse working one day (replacing my wireless MS 3000 USB-based mouse) and the very next day it simply stopped working (and Not after a reboot).

Since my original post I have been able to figure out how to delete the Microsoft Mouse 5000 entry in my "Devices and Printers":  I deleted the "Bluetooth HID Device" in "Human Interfaces Devices" within Device Manager, and that resulted in the deletion of the MS Mouse 5000 entry under Devices and Printers.  However:  I STILL cannot pair with my Mouse.  I've rebooted windows several times with various options (see below) and tried to pair, and I've noticed a couple interesting issues:

(1) When I right-click on my  System Tray "Bluetooth Devices" icon and select "Show Bluetooth Devices", the panel that comes up (Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers / Bluetooth Devices) is EMPTY (i.e, it states "No Items Match Your Search", and indeed:  No icons for any devices are present).  This is true even though Control Panel / Devices and Printers shows several Bluetooth devices, including my Sony Vaio Laptop Bluetooth radio device (BMC2046 Bluetooth Device) and a "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" which has something to do with a Bluetooth AV Remote Control.  My point is that Windows is not recognizing these devices asBluetooth Devices - at least not insofar as Window Control Panel recognizes Bluetooth Devices.

(2) I HAVE doublechecked my Windows Bluetooth Services and they Are set up to automatically start and indeed are started

(3) When I have deleted the Mouse entry via Device Manager as described above, as I said, I Cannot re-pair or get the Mouse to be recognized when I try to "Add a Device" from the Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers / Bluetooth Devices panel (or when I right click on the system tray Bluetooth icon and select "Add a Device").  The wizard simply spins its wheels displaying the message  "Searching for Devices - Make sure your device is discoverable" - the wizard stays in that state indefinetely.  and YES, I have initiated Pairing on my MS Mouse 5000 when I try the discovery.  HOWEVER:  what is Quite interesting, is that if I go into Device Manager and "Scan for Hardware Changes" - guess what?  the MS Mouse 5000 is found and the icon gets put back into my "Devices and Printers" panel.  UNFORTUNATELY:  it (1) Still isn't paired with my Mouse (nor can I get it it to pair by initiating the pairing sequence and "Add a Device" again); and (2) It does NOT show up under Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers / Bluetooth Devices - again leading me to believe that somehow Windows is NOT recognizing it as a true Blootooth device.

I've also tried "rebooting" the mouse by taking the batteries out of it and restarting it, just in case the pairing sequence gets "confused" if it has previously successfully paired.  But again, that did not make a difference.

I've tried the windows Troubleshooter on the Mouse 5000 icon (right click menu), but the troubleshooter does not find anything wrong.  ALSO I've checked ALL my Bluetooth devices (Radios, HIDs, Mouses, etc.) under Device Manager:  AND everything - including the HID devices, etc. are all in a proper state:  that is, their properties display "this device is working properly".

I am at a total loss.  Is there MS support for newly purchased MS Mouse 5000s??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ALSO:  I had already gone thru

Connect a Bluetooth device that does not have or require a transceiver
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952818

Before I did my first post, and made the changes to my Bluetooth services that it suggested.  That did not solve the problem. 

ALSO: Your first article reference "troubleshoot response failures in wireless keyboard or mouse" does not apply to my Bluetooth mouse (it is for wireless USB mouses),

FINALLY:  I just now tried your middle reference "Troubleshoot a wireless mouse that does not function correctly" and downloaded and activated the troubleshooter that applies to that article - it also did Not solve my problem - - -

Finally - I wanted to state that I have also double-checked to make sure that all drivers for all my Bluetooth devices in Device manager are up to date, so that isn't the problem either - - -

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Can you:

1. Check what drivers are loaded for the bluetooth radio? You can do this quickly from device manager, right click on bluetooth radio and check the drivers. Please post your observation in this thread.

2. Can you pair any other bluetooth devices to your computer? Are you able to say for example send a file over bluetooth?

3. Can you uninstall/ reinstall the bluetooth radio? (right click on the radio in device management -> uninstall and the do a "Scan for hardware changes") Let us know what your observations are.

Thanks,

Krupa

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this exact problem in the past and RDougShelton has come the closest i've ever seen to describing the problem in the fullest.  The only way i've ever got my mouse to work again is a full reformat.  Seeing as that takes hours i think a better solution should be here. 

Krupa i can assure you after reading through this whole post and following the instructions that i uninstalled my bluetooth radio drivers and had them all reinstall correctly.  Still this didn't fix the problem. 

The only way i can expand on RDoug's comments are that, when the device is working properly it shows up in the "Bluetooth Devices", now that its not working the "Bluetooth Devices" is blank as if the mouse never existed.  Its in the Devices and Printers list as he said just not in the bluetooth section.  Also i too have that bug where i cant uninstall the mouse.  I think I'm going to try to completely remove it out of the registry next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have some additional comments:

I have found a way to remove the mouse using the device manager and deleting the bluetooth HID entry, but thats just temporary.  The device comes back whether its in pieces or not.  The mouse properties no longer has the bluetooth tab either, so basically to my computer its a non bluetooth mouse that I cant get rid of.  I'm assuming it wont look for the device either because the computer already thinks its attached.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem you are describing and it is driving me nuts!  Have you found a solution to this without having to reformat?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I returned the bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 after unsuccessfully trying to make to work. I replaced the mouse with another identical one; thinking the first mouse was somehow defective ... I returned both mice with disappointments and happily replace it with a USB mouse which is working effortlessly. And now I cannot remove the bluetooth notebook 5000 from Devices and Printers. It is like a trophy of shame left there as a reminder of a screwy job!  I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been fighting my bluetooth 5000 mouse for the other problem of it being slow to respond after a period of time, so I am in the process of trying to eliminate sources.  I did just uninstall the ASUS (Atheros) radio and it was replaced with a Generic one.  I will see how it goes.

But, I have never had problems getting the mouse recognized.  I, as you, realize you need to uninstall it prior to reinstalling.  But after I do that, I hold the button next to the on-off switch down for about 10 seconds until the led starts blinking green and red.  Then it is recognized again when I use the Bluetooth panel to add devices.  I saw you tried the green and red, but I had to remove the mouse before it would even work.

I also have a bluetooth keyboard and it works about the same way, but it asks for a code to be typed in prior to installing the drivers.  On one occassion, I even got the same type of request for the mouse, but there is no code or number needed for it.

If for some reason, there is something in your device manager that needs to be removed, make sure you look at hidden devices, and you might also check this Microsoft procedure for seeing ghost devices that had been attached at one time to your system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

Well, while I was typing this, my mouse slowed down again, so it does not look like changing the radio helped.  You probably made a good decision, and I will probably switch back to a normal wireless also.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Saltgrass,

Due to the age of this thread, it would probably be best to create a new thread for your specific issue as there are likely to be differences between the issue found in this thread and the similar issue that you are experiencing.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2018 Views 6,549 Applies to: