Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 repeatedly cuts out/stops functioning

I have been using a Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 for two months now, and it continuallly stops working.  I'll be typing away on it, stop typing momentarily and then when i try to resume typing it no longer works.  It will randomly begin functioning again sometime later-which is most inconvinient.  This is not a dead/low battery issue, I have had and addressed that problem already!  All Drivers are up to date.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1:

Plug in the keyboard in different computer and check whether the issue persists. For further reference check the article mentioned below.

Troubleshoot response failures in wireless keyboard or mouse

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838398

Step 2:

It might be some third party application is causing this issue. Put the system in clean boot.Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below to configure the system in clean boot.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135     

Note: After you have finished installing, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

Check whether the keyboard functions properly when the system is in clean boot.

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem - bought 6000 bluetooth keyboard when I had Vista professional and it worked fine.  Upgraded to windows 7 professional 64 bit, and now it will stop abruptly.  If I reboot the machine it works again, or if I remove the device and then add it again it will work fine.  I tried Step 1 above a few weeks ago, and moved my laptop so it has an unobstructed "view" to the keyboard; moved cell phone out of the way and still have the problem. I also changed batteries in both the main keyboard and the number keypad (when one goes out, they both go out).

When I checked your website for updated drivers and went through the selections, there wasn't an option for Win7 64 bit, only for a Mac operating system.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have problems with the 6000.  It will work fine for a while, then it will stop working or repeat the last key typed dozens of times and then quit working.  This is on a clean install of Win 7 64 bit (new computer).  The bluetooth mouse (5000) works flawlessly.  I have tried all recommended steps to resolve this issue except try it on another computer.  I only have 1 bluetooth capable computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi pbberg,

·        Did you apply the fix it that is present in the KB article mentioned above in step 1?

If you cannot find the driver for Windows 7 then download the drivers for Windows Vista and download them in compatibility mode and check. Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1:

I would suggest you to download the drivers for Vista. Check the link mentioned below.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=016&active_tab=systemRequirements

Step 2: Installing the drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps mentioned below to install the driver in compatibility mode.

a.       Right click on the driver file (.exe).

b.       Click on Properties and click on Compatibility.

c.       In that select Vista and click on apply and then Ok.

d.       Install the drivers on the system and check whether it works or not.

Check the article mentioned below for further assistance.

Bluetooth Troubleshooting

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/support/bluetooth/en-US/default.mspx

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The microsoft website linked in step 1 only lists Mac as an OS option for the Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000.   This issue is so annoying!  For me it is like a timeout kind of thing.  If I keep tying it is fine.  If I stop typing for longer than about 15 - 30 seconds it doesn't respond until I puch a bunch of keys then it starts working again.  Come on Microsoft.  You sell a keyboard  and don't even support it for your own OS?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. I purchased this keyboard from Amazon 2 weeks ago as a refurbished unit and I can see now why it was returned. I use other Bluetooth devices with my laptop with no issues however at random times "possibly when also using supplied MS Bluetooth Number pad" all heck breaks loose and random characters begin spewing out. My only option is to turn off the MS 6000 devices and turn them back on. I have as mentioned noticed this also happens after stopping using the keyboard for several minutes. We seem to all be directed from MS Support to doing the same troubleshooting steps in all posts with no luck. If it's a transmitter issue just please let us know and issue replacements or a real fix. I work on my computer all day long testing medical EMR software and can not have errors placed in code because of faulty hardware. Please help.
Thanks
Dave Marino

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please read the message before giving advice like 'plug in the keyboard'. He clearly states that this is a bluetooth (i.e wireless) keyboard. Also it isn't some other application. Note here and elsewhere this is a problem with this keyboard. Please reply only if you understand this issue and how to mitigate it.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, please don't advise to download drivers of any kind. There are no drivers for this keyboard online as could be found if you simply went to the MS h/w site and looked under the model.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FWIW: I ssearched on Bing for "Windows 7 "Mobile Keyboard" 6000 disconnect" and giot a lot of unhappy compatriots to our dilemma and similarly useless advice. But I did see this in a review (http://frozen-galaxy.blogspot.com/2011/06/microsoft-bluetooth-mobile-keyboard.html?amp&amp)

"Slow Bluetooth wake up time. It takes around 1 second for the keyboard to respond after 8 to 10 minutes of inactivity. You only need to press once and don't keep repeating the same key otherwise after the Bluetooth reconnects to the computer, you will see all the repeated typed strings."

So I went back to my frozen k/b and did indeed note that if I tapped a key (after a 10-15 min idle time) and waited, it did indeed seem to spring back to life. So if this is the problem (and I'm not convinced yet it is) then it appears to be a 'by design" 'feature". Yuk

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More from the Amazon.com reviews of this product: (search on "wake")

It takes a long time to wake up from a sleep state. I've measured as much as 5-10 seconds. One time so far the keyboard never woke up at all after going into sleep mode. I had to cycle the power switch on the bottom of the keyboard to reconnect the device. I find this unacceptable for the price tag. It's related to the Bluetooth technology, which I still have not seen work as flawlessly as the industry claims. That considered, I've used a few RF wireless keyboards that loose keystrokes and have been unreliable. I would take this keyboard over any of those units. As far as choosing the lesser of two evils I'd go with this Bluetooth unit over the RF devices I've used any day.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2021 Views 11,395 Applies to: