Maxtor Personal Storage 3200, Errors Code 43/ Code 10, with Windows7

I have a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 (plug in & play), using it for the first time with my new laptop (Windows 7) and I receive Error code 43, and/or (Device cannot start - Code 10)

The green light shows the power is on and the external hard drive is also recognized under - Contol Panel/ Hardware & Sound/ View Device & Printers - but it's NOT recognised under My Computer.

I have tried troubleshooting. The online fixes have failed to resolve the issue, states 'USB Mass Storage device has a driver problem'
Can anyone please help? Thanks.

P.S. I've read on some forums that this issue can be fixed by changing the power adaptor/ power supply, is this likely to be the issue?

Hi Sophiexx,

It seems that the correct drivers are not installed for the drive on the computer. You may try downloading the latest drivers from the below mentioned manufacturer link and check if this helps -

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=personal-storage&vgnextoid=45f3004f9f650110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

You can also refer to the below mentioned link for assistance on troubleshooting the installation of the device -

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=213055&NewLang=en

Refer to mentioned link for assistance and check - Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Many thanks for your reply.

I'd already checked out all of the above links.

The device is plug & play. And, ALL DRIVERS, Microsoft Updates, Service Pack, etc -- EVERYTHING ON MY LAPTOP IS FULLY UP-TO-DATE.

All my other hardware works fine, including my USB Memory Stick.

One thing I failed to mention in the above, ref. to 'the external hard drive is recognized under - Control Panel/ Hardware & Sound/ View Device & Printers' -- sometimes it states DEVICE STATUS, This device is working properly -- sometimes it states Code 10 error - BUT EITHER WAY, it does NOT recognize this device on My Computer.

Still stuck... :(

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2020 Views 1,435 Applies to: